What's new

New HT... a couple of audio setup questions. (1 Viewer)

SimonKing

Auditioning
I just got my first home theater set up and had a couple of questions about configuring the audio. I'm not entirely sure I know what I am doing so hopefully you guys can help me out. :)
I have a Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player, Yamaha HTR-5440 receiver, Paradigm Cinema Series fronts and rears, Paradigm CC-70 center, and the Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer. I'm using the Video Essentials DVD for the pink noise tests.
First off, I can't see any way whatsoever to adjust the level of the front speakers in an effort to reach 75db with my SLM. I was going through the pink noise tests and thought I was supposed to adjust the level of the front speakers, but there doesn't appear to be any way to do it with the receiver or even in the setup of my DVD player. So, I have to ask if they can even be adjusted or are they not supposed to be adjusted? Or am I missing something major here?
My other question is with regards to the sub. I adjusted the "subwoofer level" on the back of the sub so that I got 75db without any trouble. I didn't know though what the "subwoofer cutoff frequency" should be set to. It goes from 50Hz to 150Hz. Anyone have any advice on this or can tell me what it should be?
Thanks for any help and advice you can offer!

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
First the Sub. You have the RCA sub cable connected to the Yamaha's Sub Out, right? Good.The sub amp volume dial needs to be at least half way but it's better to be more towards 2/3. The fine tuning will be with the remote to adjust Subwoofer Level, somewhere around -12dB. Use the LEVEL button on the remote to find each speaker so you individually adjust and match output, again using the remote.

Since Yamaha uses a 90Hz subwoofer crossover, you need to bypass any crossover control on the sub -- the receiver does this job. If your sub doesnt have a crossover bypass switch, then turn its crossover dial all the way up to 140 or 150 or whatever's the top.

Next, scrolling thru the Speaker Set menu, set all speakers to SMALL and the bass to SUB (not Mains or Both).

With the test disk in the DVD, set the amp to Surround on the remote so all 5 spkrs and sub will be active. I use the RS meter on a tripod and put it in the chair listening position at ear level. I point the meter 45 degrees toward the front speakers. One can set for 70 and read "up" 5 dB for 75 or at 80 and read 5dB "backward."

So with the test disk, I send the first test tone to the left speaker and then turn up the master volume with the remote until I read 75dB. On my Yamaha AVR volume scale, this turns out to be -26 where 00 is the highest and -99 is the bottom. Remember this volume setting.

Then I match the left spkr maybe using the L/R Balance slider from Set MENU on the remote, then separately adjust the center level, the rears, and then the sub to 75dB, whatever it takes using the remote's setup levels. It's ok to boost the sub +5 to say 80dB.

Does this help?

SimonKing

Auditioning
Actually Bill... that helped a lot! Thank you!

So, my understanding is that you turn the volume on the fronts up so they are 75db. Then you leave the volume there and adjust the levels on the center, rears, and sub. That makes a lot of sense now.

Also, thanks for the info on the cutoff frequency nob on the sub.

OK, quick update... I did everything you said. The only difference was that the only way to get 75-80db with the sub was to turn the level on the back to just under half way and do -20db on the receiver. Does that sound right or ok?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
that's great, glad to hear it.. that is, that YOU hear it!

yes, you discovered the "two-handed sub" manuever, sorta like turning the cold faucet and the hot faucet at the same time to get the right output.

For the Yamaha, it might be better to get the amp's subwoofer setting a tad higher, say around -16, so you have room both down as well as up when you're sitting listening with the remote in hand. While you now are calibrating spkr levels for DVD movies, later you may want to add a little more sub bass on tv, CDs and other sources.

So go back to the sub's amp and adjust it down one or two points or notches then play the sub tone again and adjust the remote sub level so you're not so close to the "bottom" of -20.

AS you have time, visit and peruse the forum posts top to bottom; there's always something to learn every day, I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks