What's new

New HT - 3 Problems! (1 Viewer)

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,
I just went from 2 channel to HT yesterday and bought a Parasound AVC-1800.I have three problems, and I'll list them in order of importance to me with first being most important.
The problems are as follows:
1. I use, and have always used 2 signal processors for the fronts only - a third octave EQ and a BBE Sonic Maximizer processor. Having never been "surround" before, these have always been inserted serially in my Tape Monitor loop and functioned perfectly.
Now, using the AVC-1800 without a Tape Monitor Loop, I find I must insert these between the Front Out and power amp in. This works, and seems to gain stage properly, BUT, in this mode turning on the system ( I use Monster HT 2500's and 12 Volt triggers)sends a HUGE amount of DC to the main amp ( and powered Subs) and will eventually take out either the amps input stages or a speaker. When they are in a Monitor Loop, and pre Volume Control, turn on is silent. Of course, there is no tape monitor loop on the AVC-1800.
Is there some way that I am missing, even with external equipment I haven't thought of, to have a Tape Monitor Loop for these devices with the AVC-1800? Is there some way to prevent the DC turn on problem? Can Audio 1 in/out somehow be put to use for this purpose? This is really VERY important for me and I appreciate any ideas you may have.
2. I find that when my rears are set to SMALL, it *appears* that the low cut is around 400 or 500 Hz, not the claimed 80Hz. I haven't measured this, but this is my perception. Upper bass and lower mids are gone in this mode. Set to LARGE, they sound as I would have expected SMALL to sound, except I am concerned that LFE is being directed to them now in the rear, which , of course, will not be reproduced. The LFE redirection to my Fronts as Large is excellent, when rears are set small. I don;t want to lose this, but also don't want the rears to appear that "thin" sounding as they do when set to small. Any ideas? Should I be concerned about rear LFE redirection?
3. And last, the system now seem to pick up noise from my Sony Remote RM 2000 which it never did before. So I must assume it is the AVC-1800, as that is the only material change. For example, the noise and upper mid buzz changes when listening to a source simply by turning the backlight on the Sony remote on and off. This is not 60Hz noise, more in the 800 or 1kHz range, give or take. Turning the remote itself off reduces or eliminates background noise.
Any idea what might be picking up the noise from the remote or where this might be leaking in to my system?
Appreciate any help you can offer.
-=Bob=-

Bob U

Stunt Coordinator
Update:
Problems 2 and 3 are solved with help from another message board. Still working on 1 and getting closer. I have my amps set to delayed turn on and first off, but the subs are always on and get the DC turn on transient. Haven't figured a way around that yet.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks