New HP Media Center computer m7680y with Core 2 Duo Chipset

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Stephen Orr, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Just ordered one of these last night from HP for around $1200. Been reading about the Core 2 Duo chipset, which is getting raves all over the place. Specs are:

- Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6400 (2.13GHz)
    - 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
    - 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s & NCQ Hard Drive
    - LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    - 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video
    - No Modem
    - Single NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE, w/ TurboCache
    - Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

I'll have two digital video cameras hooked up via firewire - one that acts as pass through for my VHS machines and 8mm camera, and the other that is used for my carry away shooting for church, etc. I also have a cassette tape deck hooked up to my line in...

I want to put my Sony DRU 820 in the box when it gets here, and swap out the video card with a dual monitor card I have in my Dimension 4550. I'm really jumping up in capability for video editing, but I have several projects for church on the way going into the fall, and I just finished making a nice chunk o change from teaching summer school.

I'll have four external hard drives connected to it (total of 1TB of HD space) plus two external DVD burners. I'll move the Sony from my Dimension, but keep the other NEC in it. I'm not sure how much I will actually use the lightscribe, since I do a lot of bulk duplication...

My Dimension is actually going to become a network hub computer for my house - connected to our printers and scanner .. we also have my wife's 3.2 GHZ eMachine, an older 1.5 GHZ eMachine that still works, and a Dell laptop downstairs to stream stuff from upstairs to my HDTV.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I like some of the specs and not others [​IMG]

The CoreDuo does whip ass, although outside of large OEMs, you just can't hardly get the chips. And the 6400 is PLENTY fast for a MCE.

But..

Pairing it with DDR2-667 instead of DDR2-800 isn't so hot [​IMG] If you see in most of the benchmarks (ala Anandtech, Tomshardware, etc.) that little difference does mean something. HP must have plenty of DDR2-667 hanging around.

And a 7300LE TurboCache card means that it's sharing part of your system memory to handle video function; also, the 7300LE series doesn't do Pure-HD or WMV9 acceleration, and doesn't have a native NTSC (DVI/HDMI) upscaler. So, while it will do those resolutions, it's not natively accelerated in hardware.

The rest is great [​IMG] I'd just replace those two things once you get it, and then look at HDTV-Tuner cards [​IMG]

3. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Decent machine for the price. Have fun with your new toy....

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Well, I've been working with my new media center HP now for a month, using it mainly for video and audio production, which it just FLIES at. Minimal surfing...I still have my older dell for web and email. I'm a little concerned about the tuner signal from the video card. I'm running a Haugpauge 250 in the dell and get a crystal clear signal, but on the HP, it tends to ghost. Any suggestions? They're both running off the same signal.

5. Snank

Snank Auditioning

Hello Stephen,

I’m a newbie to the forum, just registered after reading your post.

I also recently purchased the HP m7680y with the same TV tuner card and video card as you. My PC also had the same video ghosting that you mentioned and I fixed it by downloading the latest video driver from HP. Definitely cleaned up the video picture, although I still have a few other video problems when using the TV card that I hope they fix in the next driver update.

To get the driver:
    1) Go to http://www.hp.com, select "Software & Driver Downloads".
    2) Enter "m7680y" for product and click the ">>" button.
    3) Select "Microsoft Windows XP".
    4) Download and install "NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Graphics Driver Update" dated 9-2006, Version 8.3.9.1.

Best of luck.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

7. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I have no problem with the video card. I actually replaced it with a dual output DVI card. It's the tuner that gives me fits. The haugpauge on my dell is perfect, the card in my HP is the one that doesn't work so well.