New HP Lovecraft Documentary on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Julie K, May 7, 2004.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

The Eldritch Influence: The Life, Vision, and Phenomenon of HP Lovecraft is being released on DVD sometime apparently soon.

I saw this last October. It wasn't in its final edit but I enjoyed it and I think other Lovecraft fans will too. It features interviews with Lovecraft scholor ST Joshi, authors Ramsey Campbell, Neil Gaiman (they could have made a 2 hour show just talking to Gaiman - he's a riot), and Brian Lumley. Stuart Gordon is also interviewed.

There's also a bit where the intrepid filmmakers visit a modern day cult of Yog-Sothoth. I really hope that makes the final edit...

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Wow, thanks for the heads up Julie! HP Lovecraft has always been lurking around the edges of my reading habits ever since I was a teen (a LONG time ago) and picking the books up every few years is like discovering something new every time. This DVD sounds interesting!

3. Brendon

Brendon Second Unit

Thanks for the info Julie. Outside of the literary field, I feel Lovecraft's works have been done a grave disservice. With the majority of the film "adaptations" or "based on the story by...", the majority of people who have actually heard of him could be forgiven for thinking he was some mere hack horror writer.

And having only recently read and finished Sandman, I am eager to hear Neil Gaiman's thoughts on his forebearer.

Is the DVD likely to be available via Amazon and the larger web retailers, or a smaller mail order only thing ? I ask only as I'm in the UK and getting hold of it might be a touch problematic.

Thanks for the info again though!

Brendon

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

My guess is that this will likely only be available from the Hermetic Productions website link I gave above and maybe a few small retailers. It's a pretty small indie production so it has no big distributor. But let me know if you can't get it when it does come out.

Another movie that sort of a cross between Lovecraft documentary and Lovecraftian fiction is "Out of Mind: The Stories of HP Lovecraft". This is not out on DVD yet, but I've heard rumors that someone is trying to get the rights to it. It's also very good and features an actor with a remarkable resemblance to Lovecraft. This was a Canadian TV show and has seen unfortunately little distribution.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Veddy interesting...

I'm a fan of Lovecraft's work, though I know next to nothing about the man himself. So obviously a DVD like this is something I'd love to see.

Thanks for the scoop, Julie. I wonder if Netflix will be carrying this one once it's released. [​IMG]

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Thanks for the info - it's great to see ol' H.P. getting some recognition!

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

8. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up! Definitely looking forward to this. [​IMG]

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Thanks for the tip, Julie!! I'm going to be in Providence RI next month, so can you or any other HPL fans advise of any spots to see there? Do they have an HPL museum or anything of that sort?

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

11. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I remember getting so see a number of the original manuscripts in RI (they didn't let us touch the originals, but we did have direct access to photocopies). One interesting thing is that he used the blank backs of correspondence to write on. I remember seeing one letter from a priest (he was proofing/editing a sermon for the guy apparently) which had a section from The Lurker in the Dark on the back.

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

oh, to see a faithful, atmospheric film version of THE DUNWHICH HORROR...but some things may play out better on the printed page and in the imagination, though...

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've received The Eldritch Influence: The Life, Vision, and Phenomenon of HP Lovecraft.

Some of the edits are smoother and I think some new title cards have been added, but otherwise it's much like what I saw last year. I recommend this to all Lovecraft fans, or people who wish to know more about Lovecraft, but I would point out that this was a rather low-budget affair, so don't expect to find top-flight documentary camera work and lighting [​IMG]

The film is presented full-frame, as it was shown. The DVD also contains some deleted scenes (which don't add much), a trailer, and an art gallery.

14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've received The Eldritch Influence: The Life, Vision, and Phenomenon of HP Lovecraft.

Some of the edits are smoother and I think some new title cards have been added, but otherwise it's much like what I saw last year. I recommend this to all Lovecraft fans, or people who wish to know more about Lovecraft, but I would point out that this was a rather low-budget affair, so don't expect to find top-flight documentary camera work and lighting [​IMG]

The film is presented full-frame, as it was shown. The DVD also contains some deleted scenes (which don't add much), a trailer, and an art gallery.

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I figured Id put this here since I didnt want to start a new thread - but it seems MGM has found quite a bit of extra footage from "From Beyond"

A new restored Dir Cut is on the way. [​IMG]