What's new

New house...surround speaker wiring issues...help! (1 Viewer)

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so we're closing on a new house tomorrow and next Monday the painters will arrive to redo all the paint. Problem is, I had planned on just doing floorstanding for the rears in my surround system, and after doing the final wall-through yesterday I realize the family room isn't big enough for rear floorstanders. Now, I'm thinking I need to hang the speakers from the ceiling (one side has no sidewall where the surround would go, the other surround has an exterior wall).

This would be simple if it was a one-story house with an attic directly over it. Then I could just run the wire through the attic and poke holes where needed. However, it's a two-story with the second story directly over the family room. Who should I call? Will a place like Tweeters/Ultimate Electronics run speaker wire through the ceiling without having to buy any of their in-wall speakers? Would it be obscenely priced? Should I just buy the in-wall wire myself and then call an electrician? Will they have to completely tear apart the ceiling?

I've tried a search, but everything was related to doing it yourself (and with sidewalls). Since I'm doing it in the ceiling and would prefer to pay somebody else to do it right, I just simply need to know who to call...or the cheapest. :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ian

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
If you have crown moulding you can just run it up the wall to the top and poke it out. Then run it behind the crown around to your back wall and poke it back into the wall. Then you pull it out and wala, easier than going through the ceiling.

If this isn't the case you need to find out how your ceiling joists run. Hopefully they will run from front to back of your room. That will make it much easier to route. Otherwise, you will have to drill through each one or find an existing whole (sometimes they have punch outs) to run the wire.

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. The crown molding would work fine for the right rear speaker, because it would have a wall behind it, but the left rear speaker would have no walls around it...so the wire would just be stretching across the ceiling. It's a very open floorplan.

As far as drilling holes and stuff...If I had the time I could probably manage on my own. However, with the house being painted soon and with me working so much right now I would rather just figure out who I can pay to do it for me. :D

If it costs too much to have it done by a professional, I'll just have to do it myself later on down the road. At that point, we'll actually be living in the house and so I can post pictures to get the best suggestions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks