What's new

New House - Rear Speaker Placement Issues (1 Viewer)

Joe Abel

Auditioning
I've enjoyed the HTF for years but this is my first post so be gentle!

I've recently bought a new house and am trying to determine the best placement for my 6.1 system.

Here's the problem...

For simplicity sake in describing, I have a rectangular shaped room - one side of which being a "breakfast" area, with the other side being the family room.

There is a small half wall (about 3 feet high) separating the two areas which I will be backing my couch on to. I am having issues with rear speaker placement as placing the rear speakers on or around the half wall will be VERY visible and obtrusive.

So...one option I'm thinking of is placing the rear speakers on top of some cupboards on the rear wall of the breakfast room.

Some specific dimension information:

Distance from couch to TV / front speakers = 13 feet
Distance from couch to rear speakers = 14 feet
Height of rear speakers from couch / floor level = 8 feet

Now, I know speaker placement is often a trial and error thing but I need to look at pre-wiring possibilities (the house will be constructed shortly).

Does anyone have any suggestions / advise on whether this is a viable placement option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
How about a column at each corner of the wall. If it would look in proportion to the wall a nice manufactured column from the top of the wall to the ceiling(depending on ceiling height) then mount the speakers on the columns.

Or have you considered in ceiling speakers? a nice set in the ceiling over the main listening position but more to the sides of the couch to keep it more non-directional.

Or a set of inwall speakers to the side walls of the listening position with or without the ceiling speakers.

Do you have cathedrial ceilings or flat ceiling standard 8-9ft? and you have more options if the breakfast area is flat ceiling and the living room vaulted because of the bulkhead between the two.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I used in ceiling speakers for my 7.1 setup. I have the side speakers at ear level, seems to work well.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
There was one member of the forum a while back who had success putting the speaker close to the floor behind the couch and pointing it up toward the ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks