1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

New House, Home Theater size 10' X 20'

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JimKnotz, May 2, 2005.

1. JimKnotz

JimKnotz Auditioning

Hey Guys! I just bought a new house that's being starting this summer and completed in December. The builder has an add-on option to pre-wire the speaker wire underneath the hardware and I would like to exercise this option to save me the trouble during construction.

What should I look for with regards to the wiring and what needs to be pre-wired? What type of insulation should I have ? What type of flooring ?

What Projector and screen should I get ? I don't have a 7.1 system currently but should I wire for one ?

Thanks guys !

Jim Knotz

2. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

10 inches is a bit narrow for a theatre room... [​IMG]

Seriously, if you're having a new floor, why not ask the guy to put in one or more lengths of drainpipe under the floor, with bends accessible at each end. Make sure you put a few lengths of string through them before laying, and then you can pull the cable of your choice through them at a later date.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would wire for 7.1 so you are setting it up for later on even if you don't use 7.1 to start out with. I would have your builder put the wiring in conduits wide enough so that if you decide to run other wiring through it in the future you can.

I would go with a front projection system. Their are many models to chose from that will give you a great picture. If you don't go with front projection from the start at least you will have the wiring in place.

Look through our member's gallery at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gallery/index.php to get an idea of what others have done.

When you start putting it together post some pictures in the gallery.

Parker