What's new

New House, High Ceilings, need more sub (1 Viewer)

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
This is my old living space. When I first moved in and had no speakers. I miss the basic rectangle shaped room with hard wood floors it was so good for SPL hehe.

bd873ee82bfd9952c674dca38cdb2e22.jpg

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
VanillaRice said:
This is my old living space. When I first moved in and had no speakers. I miss the basic rectangle shaped room with hard wood floors it was so good for SPL hehe.

bd873ee82bfd9952c674dca38cdb2e22.jpg
Looks quite sad, sorry! But it can be modded to look much better rather easily! Old is gold, so don't bother going anywhere else. You could uproot the room and lay a 1 foot thick concrete floor on it. That would give you tremendous SPL with no feedback whatsoever. That is how my bed room is. Unfortunately, I keep trying to upload images of it from my iPad, but I keep getting a question mark where the link is. And I don't have a computer. Should I try putting it on Google Picasa? In fact, I am going to do exactly just that right now. Then I'll send you the link.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
VanillaRice said:
My little 10" mission m6as used to shake plates in my kitchen at my old place. Now it sounds and feels weak. My ceilings were low and I could close all the doors leading into my lounge room which was perfect . The house I live in now is quite open, it's an old house sorry for the misleading title. Can someone offer some creative placement advice until I can afford to upgrade my sub setup to a DIY 15" or similar? Also, looking at the pics would a 15" DIY be enough to pressurize this space ? I want to shake my plates off the shelves again.

My Sub is sitting just behind the left front speaker. Sorry for the mess hehe.

attachicon.gif
220208.jpg
Your old place looks fabulous. Why did you move out of it? New job or something?

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
Robert_J said:
For placement, you will need an SPL meter and the time to crawl around on the floor. Start working on a budget for the DIY sub. I suggest an 18". Too bad there aren't any 21's for home theater out right now.
Not only SPL meter, but also an amp with the mic calibrating thingie, done in various places around the room. I have done exactly that, so the SPL meter shows upwards of 120 dB when I crank up the sub! As for the subs, 2 15 inchers should do the trick.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
VanillaRice said:
OK robert. You've helped me in the past, not sure if you can remember. Is a 'home theater' sub necessary or will a car audio 18" do ? Is 4 ohm the standard for both types?
Get a Jamo D7 sub. Trust me, it shakes the building foundations. The impedance is 22 ohms of the sub.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
sean1976 said:
My little 10" mission m6as used to shake plates in my kitchen at my old place. Now it sounds and feels weak. My ceilings were low and I could close all the doors leading into my lounge room which was perfect . The house I live in now is quite open, it's an old house sorry for the misleading title. Can someone offer some creative placement advice until I can afford to upgrade my sub setup to a DIY 15" or similar? Also, looking at the pics would a 15" DIY be enough to pressurize this space ? I want to shake my plates off the shelves again.

attachicon.gif
220208.jpg

I can't quite tell from the photo, but is there a doorway behind that left speaker and sub? If so obviously move it to the right corner. Corner placement of subs ( as I'm sure you probably know ) will maximize output, although will sometimes make the bass sound too boomy. Other then that, I would definitely recommend two subs - I myself have experienced the difference in my space by adding a second ( exact same ) sub, it opens up more placement options, and will guarantee a smoother bass response, while adding about 6db ( I believe ). Beyond doing a sub crawl, you could download REW - a free program that will basically allow you to see and correct for the best LFE with your room characteristics. All rooms have nulls, and this could help you in that respect. It will basically tell you the best place to put your sub (s) with your mic located at the primary seating position. It does require a mic though, although I think you can get away with a USB mic. Here's the link: http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
I use Audyssey room eq on my Denon.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
sean1976 said:

attachicon.gif
220208.jpg

I can't quite tell from the photo, but is there a doorway behind that left speaker and sub? If so obviously move it to the right corner. Corner placement of subs ( as I'm sure you probably know ) will maximize output, although will sometimes make the bass sound too boomy. Other then that, I would definitely recommend two subs - I myself have experienced the difference in my space by adding a second ( exact same ) sub, it opens up more placement options, and will guarantee a smoother bass response, while adding about 6db ( I believe ). Beyond doing a sub crawl, you could download REW - a free program that will basically allow you to see and correct for the best LFE with your room characteristics. All rooms have nulls, and this could help you in that respect. It will basically tell you the best place to put your sub (s) with your mic located at the primary seating position. It does require a mic though, although I think you can get away with a USB mic. Here's the link: http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
I use Audyssey room eq on my Denon.
VanillaRice said:
Interesting thanks for that software, I've already downloaded it and will get around to installing it asap. No there is no doorway behind the left speaker. I just played a few songs that hit low notes around the 40-60hz mark and it just sounds quiet and muffled now. At my old house the bass track of these songs sounded flawless, now its as if they're missing from the song. It sucks !
Because of the wooden floor maybe.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
sean1976 said:
Well your old room configuration probably had different characteristics... be it corners or open doors or different flooring ( carpeting, hardwood etc ) that effected it. To really get a better feel for the sub you might want to try something that's lower then 40... War of the Worlds is everyone's go to movie for bass demo's it seems, and generally movies have WAY lower frequencies then music. Does your AVR have room correction software such as Audessey EQ or MultiEQ ? You should check, irrespective of that to see where you've got your crossovers set. The reason why I ask is if you've moved your AVR it's possible that having run it before it's reset it's internal crossovers. I assume you've got your AVR set to crossover to the sub at 80hz and your low pass filter ( not that it's needed if your AVR sets the crossover ) turned up past 100 or so? If you moved the sub, and accidentally moved the dial on the sub ( not the gain, the low pass crossover ) down too low - it wouldn't reproduce much bass in the region you were talking about. I.e. if you had turned the crossover on the sub down to 40, everything above 40 would be cut out. 1. Your fronts aren't nearly as effective at reproducing the LFE as I assume they don't have 10" woofers, and 2. they wouldn't produce anything ( bass wise anyways ) at all if your AVR was set to crossover at 80 and your low pass was set at 40 You'd loose everything between 40 and 80. Just a thought. ( I'm sure you probably know all that but just in case you didn't :) )
Audyssey set mine at 40. Is that good? It sounds flawless.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
sean1976 said:
If you're inflicting structural damage on your building - I'd say you're over doing it on your subs.
I didn't think it was possible to have too many subs. I only have 30 or so subs ranging from 10" to 21" plus parts to build 9 more.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Robert_J said:
I didn't think it was possible to have too many subs. I only have 30 or so subs ranging from 10" to 21" plus parts to build 9 more.
.. then you won't mind sharing a couple with your poor Canadian brother to the North will you? ;)

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Robert_J said:
You know your addicted when... :D

And here's me thinking one 15" is enough. I hope you don't influence me to buy more subs. I have bills to pay hehe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
VanillaRice said:
You know your addicted when... :D

And here's me thinking one 15" is enough. I hope you don't influence me to buy more subs. I have bills to pay hehe
In the proper enclosure, one quality 15" will be enough.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ftw_21.html21" are out there and mostly DIY.. I bought a Mach 5 IXL 18.4 and one of those was plenty for me..If you really want a lot of SPL get a Tapped Horn design..they can not be beat for pure spl.. but if you want low get a Ported design.. which can still get respectable SPL in a ported design but they go lower then the Tapped Horn designs..I built a DIY and will never buy a ID or Store bought brand ever again.. they simply for the money can not be beat..EDIT: I just saw your location if gonna do a DIY Possibly these guys can help:http://www.infrasonic.com.au/

VanillaRice

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Gerald,

I've just emailed them for a shipping quote on there IST mach 5 18". It will most likely be expensive as it weights over 20kg. I do occasionally visit Australia so I could always box it up and travel back with it next time I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks