New House Being Built - Running Speaker Wire Under Carpet That Hasn't Been Laid Yet.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Compton, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Rob Compton

Rob Compton Auditioning

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house. The house will be done in about a month. They just finished drywalling this past week. I chose to not prewire in the walls of our family room because we have an unfinished basement that will be finished in a year or two (hopefully) and will be strictly for home theater. I went along with my wife's wishes...she did not want holes in her walls where the rear speaker wires had been once we move everything to the basement. Plus the way the room is set up we would have had trouble wiring behind the drywall in a couple of places due to ventilation ducts and a fireplace. I had planned on getting some of the white flat Monster speaker wire and running it along the baseboards for the rears...you wouldn't really notice it unless you looked closely. This would do for a year or so.
    However, I am now considering running the rear speaker wire under the carpet. Any suggestions on the best way to do this and how I should "nail" it in place under the carpet? I read some of the earlier posts regarding this, but they usually dealt with running the wire if the carpet has already been laid. I figure once we move the equipment to the basement I will just cut the wires and leave the wiring under the carpet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Rob,
    My suggestion would be to run the speaker wire around the perimeter of the room just under the edge of the drywall where the base trim is going to be. If you do this, make sure it's tacked down as close to the corner of the floor and the bottom plate of the wall as you can get it. This will keep it out of the way of the carpet tack strip that the carpet layers will lay down around the edges of your room.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

3. ShawnMEC

ShawnMEC Auditioning

I faced a similar problem when my wife and i built our house. The compromise was that my surround wires came through regular boxes at outlet height. That way, they blended in with the other outlets and ended up being coverd by furniture most of the time (as were the wires, by chance).
    If you want to mount the speakers on the wall, you could still do that and just cover the wires with Wiremold (available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). When you later move the speakers, you'd only have to patch and paint the holes from the mounting screws which shouldn't be a problem at all.
    $.02,
    Shawn

4. Rob Compton

Rob Compton Auditioning

Thanks for the input. Actually a pretty simple solution came to me after I posted last night. I could just drill two small holes into the basement and run the wires under the first floor along the basement ceiling to where my surrounds are going to be and drill up through the floor. Not sure how my wife would feel about drilling holes into the floor of our brand new home though. Maybe I will just undertake that while she is at work! Thanks for the suggestions. Any further would be appreciated.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Rob:
    What you thought of is really the best way to run the wires in a temporary set up. Just drill a couple of holes as close to the wall as you can through the subfloor so you can run the wires up from your basement. That way when you move to the basement you can just pull the wires back out. Besides this is a good argument for getting the basement built sooner.
    Running the wires before they put the carpet down on top of it is ok but you really can't trust the carpet layers to take extra care that they don't put a staple through the mat into one of your speaker wires shorting it out.
    Parker

6. ShawnMEC

ShawnMEC Auditioning

:) That's the exact solution i used, with one exception. I had the carpenters drill the holes for me and they drilled directly into the bottom plate of the wall above so that there was no hole in the floor. I then left a piece of pull wire in the hole (and running up to the outlet box) so that after the insulation and drywall, i could come through and pull the speaker wire up through the outlet box. It worked great and the wire was hidden completely inside the wall.
    Shawn