What's new

New house and a need for new speakers (1 Viewer)

rodeman

Auditioning
Real Name
John Rodeman
Hello everyone, I just found your forum and hope some of the experts here can give me some advice.

I've had my home theater system for a number of years and have been happy with it. We have just moved into a new construction house in Phoenix and I need new speakers. Back in Indiana, before the move, we had our home theater in our loft with carpeted floring. However, here in AZ, it's tile everywhere so sound travels very well and loud.

The builder did a great job on the house wiring all the main rooms with two coax cables for television and two ethernet ports along with a network box in the master closet. They also wired the family room for surround sound. On the ceiling above the tv are are the front right, center and left connection points and the rears are behind you on the ceiling. There is a connection box on the exterior wall for the subwoofer as well.

My challenge is the right speaker. I can't afford tons of money, so I've been looking at the big box stores (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc) for a good product. There are no speakers in the ceiling, just outlet boxes with plastic plates over them. Inside the box is the wiring for the speakers.

I would like to find a way to mount the speakers to the wiring boxes in the ceiling if possible. If I can't, then I guess I mount them just in front of the boxes and drill a small hole in the plastic cover to lead the wires out of.

My current speakers are JBL and they are very small. They are 100W I believe (they are still boxed at the moment from the move). But I would like something that will have some better sound to them. I have a JBL SAT150 powered subwoofer and I've been happy with that. I was debating the bose speakers (the cube looking things) but would like some other recomendations.

I am running a Pioneer 301 disk DVD player and a JVC RX-774V amplifyer. Has anyone mounted speakers on the ceiling before or to those wiring boxes? If so, what type of mounts should I be using?

Thank you very much for the opinions. I could really use them. Unfortunately when you go into best buy, they just crank up the volume and you can't really tell what sounds good and what sounds loud.

John

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

That’llbe worthless. The back of the room is typically the last place you want a sub. Not to mention, I’ll bet it’s speaker wire, which is the wrong wire for a sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks