What's new

New hometheater setup advice. (1 Viewer)

Cookiesowns

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Wu
Hi all! This is my first time on the forums, and I'm already asking for help. hah! Well, simply put, my family is on the verge of building a new house in Taiwan, and one of the stories will be dedicated to our reference listening room and home theater setup. Our budget isn't substantial but we should be able to have enough to get ourselves some new front speakers and maybe a new projector / screen. Here's our current setup. It's running in 5.1, we have a maybe around 5 yearold Yamaha AVR, THX select certified. We have 4 Infinity speakers, a Yamaha 150W amp, and a Usher R6 running pre/pro. Our center channel is a Usher X-616 which I would say is the best speaker in our current setup. My dad has a ear that likes Yamaha, but we're happy to convert to other brands, since Yamaha does not have the THX certification that we came to enjoy from our old AVR. And after speaking with a local shop, we've been recommended to the Pioneer Elite series. I've already done my homework and I think the SC-57 fits our bill just right. Now here comes the problem, we also need maybe 2-3 speakers to upgrade. My idea is to keep the current infiniti's for our surround and front height, and then get maybe a pair of front towers. The room would be 50/50 split between music and movies. But from our current usage patterns, it'll be towards Blu-ray play back specifically. Our PS3 works quite well, and we'll keep using that. What type of speakers do you guys recommend for a setup? I personally like something that is more dynamic, and has punch, but my dad would like something that's smooth and refined. Clear, non-over powered.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You should ideally match the fronts to the center channel speaker as closely as possible. Does Usher make comparable towers to the center speaker you already have? It would be hard to recommend front speakers without knowing a great deal about Usher speakers which unfortunately I have never heard. PartsExpress.com sells speaker kits which use Usher drivers and I've come close to buying a pair but haven't yet. Edit: It looks like the CP-6311's are the matching towers but the X-718 bookshelves would also be a good choice. I also see any mention of a subwoofer. Do you already have one? Surround speakers don't absolutely need to match the fronts/center (but it's better if they do) since there isn't much dialog coming out of the surrounds and they're far enough away from the others that the difference in sound wouldn't be that much of a problem. The front heights might be more cause for concern since they are much closer to the fronts/center and probably have some dialog content. You should have dialog coming from all speakers timbre-matched as closely as possible.

Cookiesowns

Auditioning
Real Name
Joseph Wu
gene c said:
You should ideally match the fronts to the center channel speaker as closely as possible. Does Usher make comparable towers to the center speaker you already have? It would be hard to recommend front speakers without knowing a great deal about Usher speakers which unfortunately I have never heard. PartsExpress.com sells speaker kits which use Usher drivers and I've come close to buying a pair but haven't yet. Edit: It looks like the CP-6311's are the matching towers but the X-718 bookshelves would also be a good choice. I also see any mention of a subwoofer. Do you already have one? Surround speakers don't absolutely need to match the fronts/center (but it's better if they do) since there isn't much dialog coming out of the surrounds and they're far enough away from the others that the difference in sound wouldn't be that much of a problem. The front heights might be more cause for concern since they are much closer to the fronts/center and probably have some dialog content. You should have dialog coming from all speakers timbre-matched as closely as possible.
Thanks for the advice. Sadly, I'm not sure of the matching towers. And yes, we have a sub as well, it's a old but really nice Yamaha SUb thats around 150w, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks