New home wiring? Surge? Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Sep 17, 2001.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

I am in the process of building a new home. The Family room, where my HT system will be is approx. 16'8" by 17'8" (TV side) . I have a Hitachi Ultravision 60" and in the process of getting a Rec. CD/DVD, and speakers. My question is, since I am building the home now and will be pre-wiring, is there a way, or would you recommend, something to install a "surge" device now? Will I still need a "surge" protector between the wall outlets and the HTS? My house has not been wired yet by the electrician, so I can tell him what I would like, or I can do it myself. I don't need to go nuts. Other than my TV, I'm spending less than 2K on the entire system. (Which seems extremly low on this forum! [​IMG]
    Oh, in case it matters, I also have a VCR, SAT. and two game systems intalled at the entertainment center.
    So what do you think?
    Thanks, [​IMG]
    Paul

2. MattE

MattE Extra

If you're building a new home you probably want the type that are situated at the demarcation point of the main power line. Unforunately I can't give you any more information, supposedly Home Depot sells these types of devices. I would search on deja.com [usenet archives] for this type of information.

3. andyg

andyg Agent

I have 2 types of surge protection for my HT. First, I installed Hospital grade surge protected outlets. Not cheap, but if they save my projector it has paid for itself. Secondly, I have a Leviton whole house surge protection installed at the main fuse panel. It connects to both power legs and ground. It should shunt a surge, should one occur. Never been tested at my house... Yet.... You can find info on whole house protection at http://smarthome.com/surge.html
    Of course my best protection is to unplug during a storm assuming I am home....
    --Andy Garabedian