What's new

New home wiring? Surge? Suggestions..... (1 Viewer)

PaulShady

Agent
I am in the process of building a new home. The Family room, where my HT system will be is approx. 16'8" by 17'8" (TV side) . I have a Hitachi Ultravision 60" and in the process of getting a Rec. CD/DVD, and speakers. My question is, since I am building the home now and will be pre-wiring, is there a way, or would you recommend, something to install a "surge" device now? Will I still need a "surge" protector between the wall outlets and the HTS? My house has not been wired yet by the electrician, so I can tell him what I would like, or I can do it myself. I don't need to go nuts. Other than my TV, I'm spending less than 2K on the entire system. (Which seems extremly low on this forum!
biggrin.gif

Oh, in case it matters, I also have a VCR, SAT. and two game systems intalled at the entertainment center.
So what do you think?
Thanks,
icon14.gif

Paul

MattE

Grip
If you're building a new home you probably want the type that are situated at the demarcation point of the main power line. Unforunately I can't give you any more information, supposedly Home Depot sells these types of devices. I would search on deja.com [usenet archives] for this type of information.

andyg

Agent
I have 2 types of surge protection for my HT. First, I installed Hospital grade surge protected outlets. Not cheap, but if they save my projector it has paid for itself. Secondly, I have a Leviton whole house surge protection installed at the main fuse panel. It connects to both power legs and ground. It should shunt a surge, should one occur. Never been tested at my house... Yet.... You can find info on whole house protection at http://smarthome.com/surge.html
Of course my best protection is to unplug during a storm assuming I am home....
--Andy Garabedian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks