new home theatre setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by sunilkis, Jul 22, 2005.

1. sunilkis

sunilkis Auditioning

i am trying to setup my hometheatre. room size is 25x15x12. budget for speakers is about 5k. need suggestions and opions on speaker, recevier and monitor
    i am thinking about mitsubishi dlp - 60 inch. definitive techonolgy 7000series for speakers. not sure about the receiver and dvd player.

2. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

Thats like asking someone to help you pick a car, so many options... what are u looking for in speakers, floorstanding/bookshelf/wallmounted? what size sub? do u want 5.1/6.1/7.1? are u going to be using seperate amps?

3. sunilkis

sunilkis Auditioning

floor standing speakers in front, wall mounted for surrounds
    preferably 7.1
    whats a seperate amp ?
    i was thinking 12 inch sub.........
    or is it too small??
    thanks

4. sunilkis

sunilkis Auditioning

no suggestions ?????????????
    how about the axionms epic 80-500 or 80-600 ??
    what kind of receiver will these speakers need ?
    thanks

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have too agree R:O:B... maybe this will help you out.

1) Speakers- If you want 7.1> front/center/sides/rear. For that size room...Floor standers are fine. Be sure what ever you do...your Center channel- wich is extremely important- matches your front speakers too a tee. Sides-lot of folks like dipoles- but you dont have too. Rear can be wall mounted bookshelves no problem. Brands? Holy cow. lots too choose from: B&W,Swan,DefTech,Polk,Axiom,OHm,and tons more- check out the speaker section of the forum.

2) Power- You can go 2 ways...some even combo them:

A) A/V stereo- Has all your surround/amps/etc all in one nice package. These can be had in 5.1/6.1/7.1 recievers with multitudes of different features. Brands: Onkyo,Harmen Karmen,Yamaha,Denon,Marantz,Integra and more.

B) Get a Pre-Pro...wich will basically be a tuner with surround functions....but no power. then you can buy amps to go with it. You get better sound normally- but takes up more realestate! Brands: B&K,Mac,Adcom,Odyssey and many more.

3)connections: On this site has good areas too purchase your cables from-

This is just the basics- you still need a DVD player... if you dont have one...

Best thing too do is figure out generaly what you want- then go see/touch and hear it! You are the one to please.

6. sunilkis

sunilkis Auditioning

thanks ROB and Thomas for you inputs
    for receiver i was debating between yamaha, denon and hk..with 7.1 capabilities..
    whats Pre-Pro ?? and do i need amplifier ??
    i was thinking about the Oppo DVD
    monster cable?? or is it a big no no
    if i buy the epic 80-600 package do i need to buy sub from a different company ??