What's new

New Home Theatre Set-up - Projector issue (1 Viewer)

Wallie78

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Hi Guys,

Building my first Home Theatre and struck a little issue....purchased a Epson TW5300 projector for a ceiling mount and the throw to a screen of 2550mm wide in 16:9 is only about 3.7m.

The room is 5m long and with screen I wanted a throw distance of about 4.7m. Setup noggins at the back of room and now too hard to get in a move forward...stoopid I know....

I am trying to avoid turfing this projector but I think its inevitable now....Do I need to purchase another one with a bigger throw to make the extra distance....?

Thanks for your help....

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome. You should be able to purchase border material and mask the unused screen area as appropriate. Not sure what you mean by "noggins" so I don't understand the challenge they introduce. Is shelf mounting the projector or possibly placing it in a room behind the theater room and using a cutout an option?

Wallie78

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Welcome. You should be able to purchase border material and mask the unused screen area as appropriate. Not sure what you mean by "noggins" so I don't understand the challenge they introduce. Is shelf mounting the projector or possibly placing it in a room behind the theater room and using a cutout an option?

Sorry 'Noggins' is the extra timber in the roof to hold the weight of the projector...

Shelf mounting or placing in room behind not an option unfortunately...

Just need a new projector with longer throw I am guessing...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sorry 'Noggins' is the extra timber in the roof to hold the weight of the projector...

Shelf mounting or placing in room behind not an option unfortunately...

Just need a new projector with longer throw I am guessing...

Possibly but I would wait for others to chime in here and maybe do a little more independent research. I'd hate to see you have to chuck a perfectly good projector.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Projector central has a calculator that can give you a rough idea of the image size you can obtain with a given distance. I've found this not to be entirely accurate. A closer approximation can be found in the projector manual. You can usually download the manual from the company website for any projector you are considering. The final size determination comes with using it in the space planned, positioning the projector in the same place it will be mounted. One other thing to consider. You can place the "noggins" in another spot. It may entail making a hole in the ceiling drywall and then repairing the hole. This can be done quite seamlessly, many who have had angry teenager sons can attest to this. You also said shelf mounting on the wall is not an option. Why? Keep in mind, some projectors have image shifting as well as zoom. This means you can offset the image vertically and/or horizontally from the center line of the projector. This may allow putting the projector on the back wall, on a shelf, but not on the center of the wall. If so, you can mount the support for a shelf in the wall studs, and a shelf may be a consideration.

By the way, your throw distance will be measured from the front of the lens to the screen. you will need to take the the dimensions of the projector into consideration. In addition, the projector may need space behind for ventilation-the manual should tell you if so, and how much.

I've also seen an atypical projector arrangement a couple times. I've seen projectors mounted to project the beam parallel to the wall opposite the screen, and reflect it off a front silvered mirror onto the screen. This allows a longer throw distance. Your projector may have a programable setting to flip the image (mine does) to allow this. Again, check your operating manual, or play with the controls. The image in those setups looked pretty good, but these were business presentations. If you do this be sure to use a front silvered optical mirror to avoid distortion from the mirror. If you are just trying out the idea, this won't matter though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iguanaclerk
Recent bookmarks