What's new

New Home Theatre Room (1 Viewer)

ColinW

Agent
Hi everyone - I am a longtime reader of the forum, and until now I had my theatre set up in my living room.

I have some room in the basement of my old house that I would like to turn into a dedicated HT room. The width of the space I am considering is about 10 feet, and the length can be anywhere from 10 to about 20 feet.

Is this room suitable for a small theatre? I know I will be plenty far enough from the screen, but is the room width an issue?

I am not going with a front projection setup, just using existing gear. The screen is a Tosh 57" RPTV, and the speakers are currently a Polk sub/satellite combo. I was planning on mounting the sats on the walls and having the screen at one end of the room and a couch at the other end. The floor is concrete, and the walls will be regular drywall.

What should I be looking out for as far as moisture/insulation, flooring (carpet?), wall treatments, etc?

Also, any helpful tips would be appreciated. I read through all the threads and wrote down some excellent ideas.

thanks,
Colin

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Hey Colin,

I'm diong pretty much what you're thinking about. I have an extra couple of feet of width, but not much. There are a lot of factors involved when finishing a basement and many of them are dependent on building codes. What do you have down there now? Do you have moisture problems? Before I can really begin, I'm having a French drain and sump pump installed. I don't get flooding, just some seepage and I don't want to mess around with all of the electronics I intent to install. I am also going to carpet it. I intend to put down a subfloor over the concrete, though. It is possible to just put down a very heavy pad right on the concrete and install carpet over that, but if you have any moisture, i would recommend against that.

ColinW

Agent
Thanks Ken.

I do have some minor seepage, so I was going to get a drain installed and build a subfloor just a few inches off the existing concrete. I will then carpet the floor.

My big concern is the width of the room. I remeasured lats night and I think once the walls are built I will only have about 8 feet of width to play with. With that amount of room, how long should I built the room? I assume it would work well, building it about 15 feet?

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks