New home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david-drtspike, Dec 9, 2002.

1. david-drtspike

I have been looking at the Onkyo HT-S650. It sounds awesome in the store, but the speakers are too big and they won't fit our room decor. I was looking for something with great sound quality with a powerful sub (100-150 watts). Also, I don't need a DVD player included unless it is Progressive Scan. I have seen some Sony Theaters with small speakers and a 100 watt sub. Also a JVC TP670 or TP770. It has a nice sub and small speakers. What systems are out there with excellent sound quality and a decent reciever around 400-700 dollars?

2. Ken_VW

Ken_VW Extra

I just bought my first HT system. I share your opinion of the HT-S650 speakers being too large (compared to others)
    I had my mind made up on a Sony HT system with the "small" speakers....UNTIL I had the salesperson put one of my audio CD's in to see what Music CD's sounded like. I have been used to a Sansui 9090DB with Pioneer HPM 100's since the 70's & there is no way a coke can sized speaker will even come close. After hearing the difference the Onkyo system made, I was sold. They were not the decor we wanted either..but we will decorate around them [​IMG] They sound great installed, I just built my own speaker stands (woodworker) and they look great. Besides the fronts are just a fraction of the size of my Pioneer HPM 100's (which are headed for ebay, if I can part with them)
    My advice: If you also listen to music a good bit, take one of your CD's and try out before you purchase.
    Ken