What's new

New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Doug Mias

Auditioning
Hey all, first off, I did search, but came up real short.

I am brand new here, as you can see, and hope I am not making a newbie mistake asking this.

I am just getting a divorce, and my ex is getting the theater. So I need to build a new one.

Minus the TV, I have maybe 1,500 to spend.

Think I am going with the Onkyo TX-SR800 at the sub $500 price. Does anyone have a recomendation on speakers?

Again, hope I am not sounding to "newbie"ish, but whats the best bang for my buck here?

If this is the wrong forum, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
what theater/setup did you have when you were married?

id really use that as a starting point as what its costs were as compared to your budget now.

list what you had and people can give you a comparable opinion on what would be similar or equal in quality but lower in price

Doug Mias

Auditioning
Well honestly, I didn't buy the speakers, they were my wifes, hence they went bye-bye with her. The reciever I have currently was the first Onkyo that was on the market with PLII. It just had PLII Music, and Movie. Forgot the model number, and can't look since it is in storage. I stink. But it was DTS and DD 5.1 only. Nice reciever really, loved it, thas why I am staying with Onkyo. So I am looking for some opinions on the 800.

The speakers were Infinity's. Again, not sure of the model numbers on them, they were great tho. They were bought in 2001 by my soon to be ex.

What do I want? I want great sound, now I am not quite the audiophile some of you guys are, and thats for one great reason, I do not have the money. Haha. But if any of you have said in the past few months, "Hey I bought these $5000 speakers, but while I was there, I saw a full set of speakers for $1000 that were just an AWESOME value" thats what I would like to hear about.

I am not a newbie per sey, but I have never bought speakers before, and want to get a set that will sound great, and last. Primary use will be home theater.

Thanks again for your reply, I look forward to others.

EDIT: It was the Onkyo TXDS-797.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks