new home theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian-K-Owens, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Here are a few pictures of the new home theater setup. Posted them in this section, because it is where I post/read the most!!

http://bkolfo4.freeservers.com/photo3.html

Brian

(Admin note - thread moved from the DIY area)

2. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Wow, gorgeous setup you have there Brian! Must be great for the wife since it's so clean with those fold-in cabinet doors.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

That's one sweet setup! I can tell the wife had a lot of say in it! VERY nicely done, I'm jealous.

Also my wife will NEVER see those pictures! [​IMG]

Ronnie

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Very beautiful and impressive. So, when is movie night, I might just drive up [​IMG]

5. Brian-K-Owens

Thanks guys!!!

I really like it. It actually turned out better than I thought it would.

The wife had a lot of say in the setup, and she actually is not happy that the rhythm's are out on the floor. I always remind her of the pair of BPD 1803's in 24" x 60" sonotubes, and ask her if she would prefer those in the room. It usually calms things down a bit. . . I think since we have watched a few movies, she is quite happy about it.

Brian

6. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Brian,
    Most Awesome [​IMG] You've taken DIY to a whole new level: the speakers, the subs, the HTPC, the room...

Did you do the cabinetry yourself as well? The gloss (?) white on those cabinets and crown molding is very classy. And how do those Tumults compare the BPD1803s? I've been thinking about dual sealed Tumults myself. Do you have LTs or just use the BFD?

Great work.

7. Brian-K-Owens

I just use the BFD. honestly, I have not even had a chance to tune it to the room yet. Just using it right now to add a little bit of bass boost.

Hard to compare the 1803 and tumults, because the 1803 was ported, and the tumults are sealed. I also only listened to a single 1803 in a small room, where the HT room is very large with both Tumults. You do not see it in the pictures, but the room extends to the left another 15 feet for the front entry and a sitting area.

I will say I am VERY impressed with the Tumults. I cannot believe the output from this "small" sealed box sub. 2 of them is PLENTY of bass (although I will admit one of them sealed might not be enough for me; maybe with a PR setup). The sound quality is like no other sub I have heard. XBL^2 is truely amazing!!! For that reason, I would choose the Tumults over the 1803.

Brian

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Brian

====>
    Is the back side of the Sub encloser fronts a false wall or an inclosed space?
    ====>

I know your sealed cabinets are 2.0cf^3 something and your using the BFD to Eq. Very curious of your in room freq measurments at seating prior to Eq-ing and then after.

Of course once you finally get time to attack that job.
    You've obviously been very busy and it looks great by the way!!!!! [​IMG]
    WAF is certainly high and others will most likely hide your pic's out of site... [​IMG]

===>
    How do you have the T-subs set up, L&R-Stereo, Mono LFE feed only, etc???? ===>

Sorry if this may have been answered at your link, I missed it if it was.

Regards
    Geoff

9. Brian-K-Owens

The subs are actually in sealed enclosures, and space inthe wall is also enclosed. I debated for sometime on using that space and creating an IB, but for now I am very happy with the sealed setup.

I was quite surprised at the Tumult response without the EQ. They sound pretty darn good. I'll post measurements when I get them in the DIY area.

The subs are connected to the sub out of the Sony, so mono. I mix the LFE and L/R bass when watching movies. The rhythm's are sealed and XO'd at 50 Hz (HP). The Sony subout is LP 100 Hz, so I use two bands of the BFD to kill everything but really low bass from the Tumults.

Brian

10. JonathanHadi

JonathanHadi Extra

Wow, Very cool setup.

11. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Very Nice!! Is the screen electric or manual?

12. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Well Done!!
    I like the in wall WALL UNIT

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. GeorgeJM

GeorgeJM Agent

Very nice, very clean.

14. Brian-K-Owens

Frank-
    Screen is electric. The switch is mounted in the rear (you can see it inthe pic on the left side of the rear cabinet).

Brian

15. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Wow, very nice setup. So clean.

Can I ask, how do you plan on attaching the grill covers to the walls? Just curious as I'm in the construction phase right now.

Also, I may have missed it, but what type of screen are you using?

Thanks.

16. Brian-K-Owens

The screen is the Da-lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol.

For the grille attachment, the plan is to build a 2" frame with the inner dimensions the same size as the cutout in the wall. This frame will be painted white to match the cabinet(s) and attached to the wall. The actual grille will just mount as a slight press fit into the frame already attached to the wall.

Brian