What's new

New Home Theater System - need advise! (1 Viewer)

foldpages

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
Hi everyone

I currently own a Bose Lifestyle 525 Series 2 system, and I'm very unhappy with it. I'm having a hard time hearing dialogue when watching movies and music just doesn't sound good. The speakers are too small. I have finally decided to get rid of this system and invest in something better.

After speaking to various local stores, with everyone having a different opinion and recommendation, I went out on my own and put some ideas together. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on these options, or maybe better recommendations. I am totally new to this and I understand that buying speakers is a huge subjective opinion.

Speakers:

- B&W CM5 S2 (pair)

Center:

- B&W CM Center S2

Sub options:

- HSU VTF-2 MK4

- SVS SB-2000

Rear:

- B&W M1 (pair)

Receiver:

- Marantz SR5010

- Pioneer VSX-90

Cables:

- C&E CNE62270 100-Feet 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper

I was somewhat focused on B&W during my research as I do like their design with the glossy black and the yellow. I was also able to demo the CM5's and I did like their sound.

My hearing space is about 20x20 feet with 2 glass walls and blinds. Wood floors with area rug. Not an ideal environment for speakers. I am watching 70% movies/tv and 30% music.

I appreciate any help on this! I would like to stay around $4500.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...anything is an enormous improvement.

My lone suggestion, you don't need to buy expensive speaker wire. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot etc and get 12 or 14 awg lamp cord.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Agree with Sam, but also, if you will be running the speaker wire in the wall, make sure it's CL2. The stuff you posted (at least according to the picture on Amazon) is not CL2 rated.

foldpages

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
Thanks! I will not be running it in the wall - living in a Manhattan rental.

Any opinions on the subs or receivers that I posted?

foldpages

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
I guess my biggest question mark right now is the receiver :unsure:

There are so many options available and all seem to have pros and cons.

The Denon AVRX2200W seems to be a good option too.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Picking a receiver is not as hard as you might think. It's not like speakers that will last for decades it's likely to last 4 years give or take. So what you need to decide is how much you want to spend and what features you need. I would stay with the Denon/Marantz family as I like Audyssey room correction. I think that both of the models that you're looking at a quite a bit more than you need for a 5.1 in a 20x20 space. I would look at something like this refurb Denon x2100 for less than $350 but that's just me.

foldpages

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
Thanks - that may be a good option. Although I was looking into the 2015 models to get something that has all the bells and whistles to keep me satisfied for a while (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, etc...).

In terms of power output - what do I really need to power those B&W speakers?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I can understand wanting the latest and greatest especially if you're going for 4k in the near future maybe. For me I'll wait a bit until things get a bit more mainstream and affordable. Take the money you save on the AVR and put it into speakers or just stash it for the next upgrade.

As far as power is concerned...you don't need much. The mains have an 88dB sensitivity so they aren't super sensitive but they aren't bad either. At less than 20 watts you'll be over 100dB at 1m which is loud. I guess my point is that you shouldn't be worried at all about power. Any receiver that you're looking at will do just fine with those speakers. The rears are a bit less sensitive than the mains but will still do fine with any AVR.

foldpages

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
Thanks, Tony! Your help is much appreciated.

Do you have any thoughts on the subwoofer?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I wish I could point you in the right direction on the sub but to me it's not as clear cut. It's a speaker so you will probably have it for a while. A good sub can make or break a system. That being said you've identified some good models already.

I see that you went for the sealed SVS and the Variable HSU which are great for music. Either one will be able to get the job done for a 20 x 20 space and each reach way down so you're more than covered for the LFE stuff. Now the question is how many neighbors are going to want to kill you after the first viewing of Godzilla or Saving Private Ryan.

If either of these are in your budget I would say you're good. I don't know that one is better than other except the HSU gives you the option to run either ported or sealed. That would come in handy if you like one for now but decided you need the opposite down the road. If you wanted a few others to consider the Rythmik LV12R or the sealed LV12 might also compare well with the ones you've already identified.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks