new home theater setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Sulli, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

hey guys, i'm just about to pick up my first home theater in about a month, and i was wondering what you guys thought of my choices. the system will be in a smallish room for the next 2 years, then moved into a bigger room when i'm out of grad school. it will server as a 60/40 music/movie system. because of this i will most likely be adding a 2 channel amp for the fronts at some point as well.

but here are my choices, both running off a denon 3802

paradigm studio 60's, studio cc, possibly 4 studio 20's or mini monitors for surrounds, and a pw-2200 sub

or

axiom mt80's up front, vp150 center, 4x mt3tise or quad pole surrounds, pw-2200 sub.

my big question is would the monitor's sound alright as surrounds for the studios, and past that which system would sound better in your guys opinion, as i've heard the paradigm several times, but haven't had a chance to listen to the axioms

2. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

can anyone tell me if i should be looking at some other speakers, or going to the studios for rears as well as fronts?

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have the 40s for fronts and the Mini Monitors for rears and it sounds pretty darn good. I keep meaning to replace the Mini Monitors with 20s, but I never get around to it. I'm in no hurry, now. I upgraded piece by piece. If I was going to get them all at once, I'd probably go with the 20s for rears.

4. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

thanks for your help, i'm glad to hear that the monitors sound aright with the studio fronts since I'm on a little bit of a budget building this system, think i'll go minis for surrounds and upgrade to studios down the road when i'm out of school and put a second system together using the minis