New home theater set up - is this a decent configuration?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frank.Ch, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Hi all, I am setting up my first home theater ever, in a new home that I moved into.

The room is 15' wide by 20' long, but the entertainment area will be about 10' long (part of a great room with a kitchen / nook area), with tile floors through out, and a 8' by 10' rug in the entertainment area.

For display I will have the Samsung 61" DLP screen (which I will acquire in a few months, once the LCOS screens arrive, which should help drop the price of these TV's).

For 5.1 sound I have acquired the Best Buy Klipsch Synergy series SF-3 package. I have about $250 in Best Buy gift cards and reward zone certificates, which is going to offset the package price to about $1,750.

For receiver I have the Yamaha HTR 5760.

The subwoofer is the KSW-12, 12" 440 Watt model.

The center is the SC-1, Dual 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker.

The two front speakers are Klipsch Synergy Series Dual-8" 2-Way Floorstanding Speaker - Black, SF-3.

The two rear surround speakers are Klipsch 5-1/4" 2-Way Wall-Mount Surround Speakers (Pair) - Black Ash, SS-1.

The receiver is capable of 7.1, so I am thinking of two more SS-1's to make it 7.1.

I had done some research into home theater set ups, and was going to go with the Polk RM7600 series with the Polk 12" sub at Fry's electronics that was on sale at Fry's for $1,000 on July 4 weekend. However, by the time I got to Fry's on Monday, the sale was over, and the home audio supervisor as well as the store manager were unwilling to budge from the regular rip-off $1,800 price. I was also thinking of buying the Athena Micra 6 series, but after some time listening to them, I thought that they didn't offer the loudness that was appropriate for my great room.

I think some have said on here that the Yamaha and Klipsch speakers are very bright sounding, but the same set up in the Best Buy store to my newbie ears sounded pretty good. I spent about an hour in the store listening to various types of music and movies before deciding to go with the SF-3 package.

So the main reasons I wanted to get the package are: 1) price for the package, 2) it sounded pretty nice in the store, 3) I travel for work throughout the week, and on weekends I hardly have time to shop for components, so for a first time home theater set up if this is sufficient, then I can live with it for a few years before upgrading.

Can you please give your thoughts on the set up?

Thanks.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Remember, that choosing a home theater sound system is a matter of what sounds best to you. People who respond will be responding based on their personal preferences.

I, personally, am a big fan of Yamaha receivers. I'm not a fan of Klipsch speakers, but that is not to say they are not good speakers. I just personally prefer Paradigm.

The bottom line is that if this sounds good to you then it is a great system. Only your own ears can be the judge.

3. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Thank you Marty. Being relatively new to home theater I welcome all opinions.

I also want to know if I am making a terrible decision (like someone going to spend wads of money on a Bose acoustimass system [​IMG] )

4. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sticking up for Bose, but even the guy who spends wads of money on a Bose acoustimass system who is thrilled with his puchase (for whatever reason) has a wonderful system if it makes him happy. Not trying to start a flame war here. Now this may start a flame fest, but It's kind of like the guy who has an ugly wife or girlfried, but who thinks she is the cat's meow. Are you gonna tell him any differnt!!

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Sounds like a pretty good setup. One thing, depending on how much the sub was from Best Buy I might consider a different one (also if you're willing to order online). If you paid the $375 it's listed for on the website then I would consider the Adire Rava of HSU STF-2 instead. If it's part of a package deal that brought the overall price down significantly then it should still do the job well.

Enjoy your new system, you're definitely not making a Bose decision, you'll be very happy for awhile to come [​IMG]

6. jephdood

jephdood Stunt Coordinator

Klipsch is great stuff for HT. I would also suggest a different sub though.

Now hook 'em up, calibrate, crank the big knob, and start grinnin'. [​IMG]

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Asking if what you have already purchased was a good choice is like asking someone else if the dinner you just ate was good.

Let me tell you, I think it's a good thing they sold out, because the setup you got is considerably better than the Polks you were considering, and I am also not a fan of Klipsch. I'm going to have to third the commment on rethinking the sub choice though.

Take the time to set it up correctly, and I'm sure what you have will serve you well.

8. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Thanks again for the replies. I just bought the set up last week, so I have a few weeks to try them out and return if I don't like them.

I agree with you all about the sub-woofer, but it's part of the package and I save some money with the package. After a while, I will probably upgrade to a better subwoofer.

The pricing is kind of strange though - the package indicated a 5.1 system, but after I got home and opened the SS-1 surround sound speaker box, there were 2 speakers in each box, so currently I have a 7.1 system (4 SS-1's) for a total of $1,900, including the Yamaha 5760.

With the $250 off in BB gift cards and reward zone certificates, this means I have a complete 7.1 system for about $1,650 before taxes and accessories. This is cheaper than the $1,800 at Fry's for their regularly priced Polk RM7600 speaker and sub package alone.

I have yet to receive the subwoofer since the store is out, so it should arrive this week by mail. I can't wait to get all the components to try them out in my room.

This is my first HT set up and I hope to upgrade after a few years into more high end gear. I was at Ultimate Electronics yesterday and was blown away by the cost and features of some of the gear there. Buying a home theater has got to be one of the most complicated tasks for a newbie, and I appreciate your help. [​IMG]