What's new

New Home Theater Questions (1 Viewer)

KeithL

Auditioning
Hello,

I moved into a new house and am setting up a home theater. My previous home theater was a small one in my apt. with a 27 inch TV.

I've ordered a Toshiba 57HX81 and today received a Toshiba 5700 DVD player, as I was told the HDTV would benefit from using a progressive scan DVD player. I'm going to hook my Sony DVD player up in the bedroom. I was amazed at how few places sold that TV, I ended up getting 6th Ave. Electronics in NJ to price match some of the places in NY selling it (that I was wary about buying from)- they ended up giving it to me for $2700 shipped, which seemed reasonable. Best Buy had the 57H81 for like 3 grand, and I read this was the better model.

I was going to order the Polk 800i front speakers and accompanying polk surrounds, center and sub from Crutchfield, but it was recommended to me to consider Paradigms for the same money. I found a dealer down the street that has the Paradigm monitor 9's and voice-matched surrounds and center. I was going to get a paradigm sub, but from what I've read here it seems SVS might be a better choice (although I'd have to wait for it). I was considering an Onkyo reciever (DS696), but the dealer selling the paradigms says he has comparable Denon recievers, so I'll see what he has that fits my needs and price range.

To appease the wife, I want to get an entertainment center to go around the TV (basically two cabinets for each side, with a piece that goes across the top. As I've decided to go with floorstanding speakers (the room is large - 18 foot walls), I was hoping to put them flush on either side of the TV, and the have the entertainment center around them. Would this placement be okay? or should the speakers be moved out further and angled in (less desirable aesthetically, but I'll do that if it's better).

Also, what do I need to know about calibrating this set? I've never owned a widescreen set before. Finally, there is a box window behind one of the couches, so I need to put the surrounds on stands - is there a recommended position for them? I've read that having them facing each other above and slightly behind the listener is good.

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had a large system like this before and would like to set it up properly. I'd appreciate any answers to my specific questions, or general comments on the equipment I've purchased/am planning on purchasing. Particularly, I'd like thoughts on the SVS sub (i.e., which model is good for around $500 - and is that the better choice over the comparably priced Paradigm sub)

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Keith

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
KeithL - STEP AWAY FROM THE COFFEE!!!

I had a hard time finding the questions but the one I di find was about calibration. IF you do not own one the the AVIA Home Theatre Setup DVD along with a radio shack Sound Level Meter. That will give you plenty (if not to much) to calibrate.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like a great system.

The TV is a fairly sensistive optical system. Do some simple brightness/contrast adjustments, but you may throw the focus out of alignment when you move it. So rough it in by eye, or with the Avia disk.

Give it a few weeks to "settle" in, then consider having a ISF guy come out and do all the low-level adjustments. He will bring a Color meter to accuratly set the colors, do the fine convergence, etc.

The Toshibas are known to be very "tweekable" with masks, lining the inside with non-reflective cloth, etc. Post a message after a few weeks in the Display Devices fourm and someone will point you to the web sites with all the tips.

The speakers will sound better pulled into the room, and toed in. But dont do this right away so you dont annoy the wife.

Some people have gotten some good prices on Canare component video cables from eBay - highly recommended for the progressive video signals.

Hint: use the new "toys" as an excuse to invite her friends over or another couple for movie parties. This will help her see the value in them.

Good luck.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
here's a pretty good thread about calibration. it includes links to a couple of other really good threads, including one by ron epstein:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=isf
i would definitely put the main speakers on the outside of the cabinet...it'll help widen the soundstage.
for the rear speakers, you'll probably have to do some experimentation. dolby lab has specific recommendations on where to position speakers:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3
but, as with most ht aspects, you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Particularly, I'd like thoughts on the SVS sub (i.e., which model is good for around $500 - and is that the better choice over the comparably priced Paradigm sub)
the new Link Removed line starts at $549 and goes from there. their website is very well constructed and informative. take some time to browse through it if you can.
as for comparisons to Paradigm subs in this range, i think the SVS would win hands down. what you could do is see if the dealer will let you audition the Paradigm in your home for a weekend and order the SVS. listen to them side-by-side and keep the one you like best. SVS has a 45-day 100% satisfaction guarantee and is famous for its customer service. shoot them off an email and i'm sure you'll get timely, informative responses.
as for Onkyo vs Denon, i think that you need to check them both out before you make a decision. based on performance alone, i think the Denon 2802 (same price range as the Onkyo 696) would slightly edge out the Onkyo. however, the Denon's remote is less than spectacular, whereas the Onkyo's is very nice IMO. you need to decide if this is important to you. i personally went with an Onkyo 595 because i could get it for cheaper and i also needed a good, ergonomic remote.
good luck!

KeithL

Auditioning
Thanks for all the input. I did kind of throw everything out there in one shot - sorry about that.

I have to say, I listened to a sunfire sub when I purchased the paradigm speakers. It goes for $1900 but the guy had one refurbished for $1100 - it was way too much for my wife's taste, and a little much for me also. My friend has this sub in his townhouse, and the entire place shakes (I don't know how his neighbors stand it) because it goes so low. Even at the lowest levels, my wife had a headache from the sunfire. The paradigm sub sounded fantastic to my ear and was more pleasing to my wife, so we went with that. From what I've read of the SVS, it sounds like it performs on par with the sunfire, which would not fit our tastes. This probably sounds crazy to alot of the home theater gurus out there, but it's a matter of personal preference. I did tell the guy that if I was a single guy I might have opted for a sunfire or SVS, but I've got the wife and kids' tastes to accomodate.

Anyways, I did get the Denon 2802 and the monitor 9's with matching center and surounds - so I'm a happy camper. I was able to get paradigm "blemished" speakers at a nice discount, and I still can't find a mark anywhere on them. He gave me the Denon for $150 less than Crutchfield wanted, since I was buying the speakers from him also.

Just waiting for the TV to arrive. Once I get the TV, I'll hook everything up and calibrate the sound and video, I'm going to try and pick up a sound meter today. Thanks again for the help.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks