What's new

New Home Theater Install (1 Viewer)

gr8-sales

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I moved to my house recently and need some assistance in installing a new home theater system. During the construction of the home, we had a professional come in and install all the wiring for a home theater surround sound system into the walls and ceilings of the house. Furthermore, we had him install additional wiring for a in wall/ceiling speakers stereo system, each room has independent volume control and all the wiring goes to the area where we plan to put all the stereo/surround sound components.

With that said, i am looking at a Harmon Kardon 435 7.1 receiver and polk audio in-wall speakers and in ceiling speaker? Any thoughts on these??

What do you recommend for a DVD player and subwoofer? What other components will I need to complete the setup of this whole theater/home stereo system.

Lastly, how do i locate the speaker wire in the walls. The installer ran all the wires along the studs and ceiling joists. In the spot where the speaker would be, he zig zagged the wires in the space between the studs/joists. I'm guessing he did that so it could be located with some sort of metal detector. If not, how do I locate the wires in the spot where the speaker will sit? Thanks for your help.

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
I would first recommend having everything installed for you by the person/persons who wired the house. They'll get it done in half the time you could and without any issues. Also, they'll be able to recommend appropriate speakers and such. Now, you could do it yourself, but you would have to buy some equipment to do it..... ie. stud sensors, toners, etc. Unless of course you already have the tools.

joseph westcott

Second Unit

An inexpensive stud finder should work fine (get at the local home center). Your phone call to your builderelectrician should give you a pretty good idea where they are. A small hole and a coat hanger or fish tape should enable you to pull the wires through.

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
After you connect the speakers to the speaker wire, an easy way to tell which wire is which at the receiver end, is to take one of the unknown wires, and touch it to the posts of a 9v battery. This will create a static sound in the speaker, so you then will know which speaker wire is rear left, rear right, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks