new home theater. HELP plz!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan Yo, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

hey guys, im new to the forum and i would like a bit of help. I know it is annoying when a newbie comes in expecting answers, but my parents want to install a home-theater really really soon.
    ok, here i go: the budgetis 10-11k for equipment. the room is decent sized, cant remember exact size. we are looking for a projector, a screen (112-120 inches), good speakers, a good dvd player, good receiver, and wall mounts for the speakers.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

... anyone? Can anyone help a newbie out? I do it all the time on my car forum. help me please!

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I think people want to see you look around a bit, and find something and then ask if its something you should consider. People aren't going to build your HT for you. You have to do some research, listen to speakers, then, if you don't know, it would be a good time to ask some more specific questions. There are so many speakers you could get for that much money that people don't want to tell you everythign you get as much of it depends on personal preferences.

For starters:

Receivers - look at Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon and Onkyo...theres more....but start there

Speakers - Paradigm, Axiom, Rocket, B&W, Theres tons more here too but those are the first that come to mind.

DVD-player...Depends how much you want to spend on one

Wall mounts - now thats just getting lazy.

Hope that gets you started in your research. Don't expect to pick components in a weekend. Give it time

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Can you get an exact room size? What kins of projector do you want? What resolution? Does the AVR need to switch video inputs or are you using a seperate switchbox? what brands of speakers are available in your market? do you want a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 setup? how many seats do you want in your theater? do you have any equipment now that you want to carry-over? did you want to wall mount all the speakers, or just the surrounds? is this a Tv & movie room, or is it Hi-Res audio too?

5. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Just a few minor details....

7. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

thanks for the help guys, here is a list of what we are currently looking at.
    Sharp XV-Z 12000 projector
    Da-Lite Cinema counter screen. 54 x 96 pro trim
    Yamaha BNH-5790 receiver
    Sony SA-CD DVD player
    JBL speakers : Front : DBL-E80 (pair)
    Center: DBL-EC25
    Rear: DBL-E10 (pair)
    Woofer: DBL-E150P
    What other products compare in price and performance? Also, the resolution for the projetor is something like 1280x720, i know that is a good resolution, but i would like something higher than that. is there really a need for a higher resolution though? I'm not too familiar with all the terms and technology, im a car guy [​IMG]

um.. i think we are just gonna have 2 couches in there, we were considering nice movie seats, but decided not too(its harder to cuddle[​IMG] )
    the size of the room is equivalent to a large room for a child or the size of a decent master bedroom. i will put up measurements later
    thanks alot for the help guys!!

8. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

what the heck are components? like components for car speakers?
    garret- i dont understand most of what you said, sorry im an imcompetent noob. the room is going to be used mainly for movies ad maybe some tv and a little music

9. Ryan Leemhuis

AVR = Audio video receiver....that help?

10. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

^^thanks, umm..... I'm not sure which one we r using... i geuss its the yamaha model i listed above.
    i was looking at the BOSE Lifestyle¢ç 48 home entertainment system, but it seems like most people think it is over priced and provides "ok" performance. is this correct?

11. Ryan Leemhuis

over priced is correct...performance depends on who you ask and how much you are expecting. Not a good choice for your room

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Dan, it sounds like you've got a great start on the items you intend to use in your HT room. It appears that you've been doing some research and have a pretty good list at this point.

I remember trying to "figure out" the HT thing many years ago..........before the internet and before "real" useful information was out there and it was hard to find anyone who really knew much.

Working for you now is a world of knowledge at your fingertips.....although, sometimes, too much info will seem to make things infinitely more complex. Each person's needs concerning HT is different but really boils down to enjoying what you do end up getting. Sometimes, there are those who wish to make you think you've made wrong choices, therefore inhibiting your enjoyment of what you have. Then again, there are those of us who will sit down and eat your popcorn with you and love the hell outta whatever you've done ( although snuggling may be outta the question).

I am glad to say that this hobby will become more and more simple to understand, although possibly more expensive, as you plow yourself through this endless maze of products now available. My sig kinda sums it up.....

13. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

^^^ thanks, yea i thought what i listed is pretty good. im not sure if i would be willing to snuggle with you [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It must have been hard figuring out a HT system b4 the internet bc the lack of info, but now there is a flood of information and is hard to understand. ironic, huh?

14. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    With your budget, check out the Sony VPL-HS51 LCD projector (3.5k retail). Probably one of the best mid-range front projection units on the market right now. I only recommend it because of the inherent RBE problems of DLP projectors that annoy and induce headaches in some people. The Sharp XV-Z 12000 could exhibit this phenomenon because of its 5x color wheel. Also, you do realize that the Sharp XV-Z 12000 retails for around 11k? That would eat up your 10-11k budget right there.

15. Dan Yo

Dan Yo Auditioning

^^^ wow, thanks alot!!
    The Sharp projector retails for 11k, but it sells for around 7k, so we will have $$ for everything else.
    i will definately check out those speakers you mentioned.

again, thanks for you input!!!