New Home THeater Construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndrewVital, May 31, 2003.

1. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

We are currently remodeling our house and Have plans for a Home theater. We are looking to do the best of the best. I would like to do a projector but as to which (front proj, or rear proj) I am unsure or the pros/cons.

I want to do a 7.2 audio system and am looking for the best in that aspect too, as far as speakers and amps/processors I have no idea.

As with the video, I have digital cable, so I know I am stuck with the cable companys box, but as far as processors for video and looking for HTDV how should I got about that?

I am also looking to do some sort of automatic system that will dim the lights/close the curtains when I pop in a dvd.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I currently have a 53" sony Rear Proj TV with a dobly Dig 5.1 (infinity) which is ok, but i want a dedicated home theater.

Thanks for all responses in advance.

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

Lets start of by saying that there is no BEST HT system. With that said, what you need to do is to audition audio setups and decide which sounds best to YOU. Just because you paid a zillion dollars for some speakers does not mean that they are worth a hill of beans. Audio is, by its nature a subjective subject. What sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. You have to audition for your self to decide if a perticular sounding speaker, or receiver is to your liking.

RP/FP... How much space do you have available for your HT? As above, this also needs to be investigated, some folks like LCD FPs, some like DLP FPs, and some like CRTs.

It mostly comes down to BUCKS.... How much do you have and are willing to spend to emulate that "Being in a theater" feeling.

I know that I was not very helpful, and I apologize, but a more scoped question will evoke a more targeted answer.

3. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Ya, we have a budget of about 20 grand. We dont' have an exact room size yet, It is the an open space that we will be putting a wall in to divide it into 2 rooms.
    How much room (on average) do you need for a rear projection. Like how far back must the projector be to get an image. And what would it project onto? some special type of glass?

I would be interested in a DLP projector no matter which way i got FP/RP

Thanks

4. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

Most folks base their FP decision around the room. What you should do is this.

1. Decide on a projector and make the walls based on the requirements of the FP.

2. Build your walls, then buy a projector based on the available space.

By all means, please look at a few projectors. Some folks have experienced physical problems associated with lower end DLP projectors.

You will need an actual screen on which to project the image... more on this later if you decide to go FP.

Below is a link to my HT pictures to give you some ideas.

I built mine in my upstairs game room. The pictures are not updated as I have added crown molding a new receiver and SACD player, but still need to add the GOM material to the walls.

Click here

5. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

I have been looking around the net and I found this site.

Home Theater Site

Has anyone heard of this brand of equipment? and is this a decent price?

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Andrew:

If you have not already done so then I would suggest that you spend a little time reviewing some of the member theaters here. I got a lot of great ideas and save lots of $$$ from doing just that. With your budget you should be able to build one hell of a system.

I also a Sony 53" but recently upgraded to a Sony projector which my family enjoys.

7. adam_ric

adam_ric Auditioning

a fellow ri person, huh? i might have to stop by when it's done [​IMG]. you may want to check out this site:

http://theater.c5design.com/links.html

If you go to the links section, which is located on the bottom left hand corner of the screen, it will lead you to several examples of home theaters and other helpful sites

8. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator