New Home System Help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by mike__j, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mike__j

mike__j Extra

Hello,

I have a home in construction and I need help selecting what products to use. I have been looking at the Bose 6.1 system. I am new at this home theater but I want a good sound. I have concedered in-wall speakers due to the look. My wife does not want large speakers mounted on the wall but she will be ok with a small speaker. I like the Bose due to the stacked array. I am so confussed because I hear different stories on what is the best to go with. I have approx 2 or 3 thousand dollars for a budget. The family room I am placing these speakers in is approx 22'x 20' with a conethedrial(spelling)cealing. Should I go for the in-wall or the surface mount? What brand would be my best choice? I want a white finish on the speakers. I need suggestions on the reciver brand also. As all you can see I need some help in this matter. I need to start wiring next week before the drywall is installed. Any suggestions will be helpfull. Thanks for your time. Mike

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

First of all, avoid Bose. In your budget you can do much, much better for sound quality. Do a search of this forum for Bose and you'll learn plenty about them. You should probably figure out a receiver first. I say this only because you may choose a receiver that is 7.1 instead of 6.1 and then have to (or want to) go buy another speaker. Check out www.axiomaudio.com for some good speakers. Look at the M22's or the M3's in Maple (which is almost white). They also sell brackets for mounting the speakers on walls. Then you might look at Hsu or SVS for a subwoofer. This system would be roughly the same cost as the Bose system and would be probably 50x the sound quality.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

About the wiring, go to Home Depot and get 12ga in-wall cable. I would go ahead and run 7.1 personally, but that's up to you. Run a coaxial cable to wherever you'll want the sub (or run it to each front corner if you're not sure yet or if you might want 2). Also, you may want to run some of your audio and video signals through the wall if you're receiver and DVD player will not be placed close to your television.

4. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Second the avoiding Bose! You might as well go to Radio Shack, pick up some budget speakers and mail $3K to me! [​IMG]

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I admire Bose. The company is even talked about in marketing coarses.
    It's not because of their product but the way they package it.
    Any salesman will tell you they never sell the steak but the sizzle.
    The product sells because the sales pitch sounds so good.
    Bose probably knows you'll be hooked on the look and the sizzle of the sales pitch and you will know nothing or care about what it is that the best sound, sounds like.
    I would suggest you get some good recordings of classical music not rock where highs, mids and lows are featured. Rock music tends to have too many highs and lows but not enough mids. Go to a high end audio store and grill the salesman while you're listening on what is, the right sound.
    Places like BB are not good places to learn this because they're more geared towards the sizzle.

6. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator