1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

New Home - Surround & Patio Sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Kel, Nov 18, 2002.

1. David Kel

David Kel Auditioning

Hi everyone. This is my first post here at HTF and I have a question I am hoping I can get some advice on. I'm in the process of building a home and have already prewired my living room for ceiling mount speakers in the rear and 2 speakers on my covered patio. I also wired in a wall-mounted volume control for the patio speakers.
    My question is this: What do I need and what would be the approximate cost of being able to have 2 different sources playing at the same time? An example of this is if I want to have a BBQ at the house and watch the big game inside on the surround sound, but the ladies want to listen to the radio outside on the patio. What would it take to accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer [​IMG].

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Since you have the wiring done already, all you need are the appropriate speakers and a multizone/multisource capable receiver. Some that come to mind off the top of my head are the Denon 3802, 3803, Sony 4ES and 7ES. There are plenty more, but those are just a few i thought of right off. The Denon 1803 is also multizone/multisource capable, but the second zone is only mono, since there's only one extra amplifier.
    On a side note, for the patio speakers, you might want to look at the JBL S36AWs. I found a source online that has them for $160 a pair, which is really an amazing deal. They usually sell for around $250 a pair. Here's the link:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/advantage123/jbl-s36aw.html
    Hope this helps.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

onkyo's also have this capability....