What's new

New home entertainment platform? What???? (1 Viewer)

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
From DVDFile.com
Hmmmm...is this a mystery of Scooby-Doo like proportions? This morning DVDFILE, along with a number of other press outlets, was invited to a very hush-hush event this Thursday in Los Angeles. What might this be? The only information so far released to us press folks is that "a consortium of studios is announcing the introduction of a new home entertainment platform." Needless to say, we'll be there on Thursday, and stay tuned for any more info on what, pray tell, this might be!
Anybody have any idea what they are talking about?
-BG

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
mitsubishi has a D-VHS unit on their website. It uses Firewire connectivity of HVIC (or whatever it is)

just an FYI

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
Until high-definition DVD appears, DVHS will be the only way to buy high definition movies. Whether it will be a success or not remains to be seen. I personally believe that early HD adopters are just going to wait for HD-DVD, and DVHS is doomed before it even launches.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I don't know, four hours of HD material on one tape will be hard to do on Optical media right now. I'm sure it'll be an interim solution but one I'm willing to pay for.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
"Studios announce D-VHS support"
"This morning DVDFILE, along with a number of other press outlets, was invited to a very hush-hush event this Thursday in Los Angeles. What might this be? The only information released to us press folks was that "a consortium of studios is announcing the introduction of a new home entertainment platform." But Video Business has now spilled the beans, and it is a new D-VHS format. Sounds, um, interesting...and problematic. Watch for our take on the announcement after Thursday's conference!"
Yikes
And from Video Business, a more detailed look...........
Uh-oh
Methinks this format will strictly be pan and scan or 1:78:1, and a burden to us all....despite this being supposedly for "niche market", just imagine all the commericals for Joe 6 Pack ("not only does it offer high definition picture, it even plays all of your existing videos!")

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Bill Mechanic strikes back! (Yes, I know he got canned, but it was he and his cronies that kept proclaiming D-VHS was "the real future" of home video). I guess studio paranoia about DVD encryption is forcing them to start cannibalizing their own product......sigh...looks like OAR on DVD was the least of our worries, as I introduce to you the second coming of DIVX.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Just how many times would you have to watch a d-vhs tape before it deteriorated below dvd quality?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As long as the tape actually touches something inside the player, I'd say the first time it is played.
That is not even true. Other digital tape media (D1, D2, DAT) do not does not suffer that kind of loss, and there are people at AVS using D-VHS with no such problems.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
There's no mention in any of this regarding sound formats. For all we know, it could only support plain old Dolby Pro-Logic. Then again, it could also support full bit-rate DTS, alongside Dolby Digital. Still, I wish we had some indication.

Me personally, feel this is a huge step in the wrong direction. JVC, I know you're saddened that VHS is dying, but CASSETTES AREN'T THE FUTURE. We'll lose random access, a huge strength of DVD, seamless branching, commentary tracks probably, not to mention countless extra features which are impossible to duplicate on a tape based format.

Going forward with a HD-format NOW, with this tape based format will just end up making things worse in the end. What incentive will there be by the studios to release HD-DVD when there's already HD-VHS? DVD may die off completely, and we'll be stuck with HD-VHS, which no one can be convinced to drop in favour of HD-DVD because of the expense. We'll be stuck with this tape format with so many of the perks we love on DVD lost for quite a long time. I'd like to see HD stuff too, but not on tape. Tape's dead.

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
That is not even true. Other digital tape media (D1, D2, DAT) do not does not suffer that kind of loss, and there are people at AVS using D-VHS with no such problems.
What your saying is true, there is a comparator circuit that regenerates the digital 1 and 0 to the correct level before output, the only problem is when the tape gets older the threshold level may be on the borderline and may be interpreted wrong, but there is a checksum to flag bad data, for video it's arranged in blocks, so as the tape gets older you will start to see blocks popping up for invalid data, but it keeps playing, you get the same effect with dvd when your player hit a bad area (scratch, dirt).

The tape won't last forever, but you will be able to get quite a few plays out of it before you start to see errors, depending on how good the tape is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks