New home cooling system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMC, Jun 22, 2002.

1. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I recently move into a new house. The previous owners had installed a swamp cooler that was ducted into the air return into the heater. The motor on the swamp cooler is not powerful enough to cool the upstairs of the house. I believe that the previous owners used the blower of the heater to help cool the house. Their is no separate blower option on the heater. If I want the blower on, the heater must be on. I turned of the pilot light thinking that I could turn the heater on without heating the air. Now the heater won't come on at all!! Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. JasonMC

any suggestions?

3. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Jason,

I'd try to get in touch with the original owners or your new neighbors to see if they could shed some light on your system. It sounds like homes in Colorado may be able to get by with a system that would never fly in hotter climates.

I'm not an expert on heating & air conditioning but I have swapped out all four of the "old style" thermostats at our home & shops. I replaced them with the new programmable digital thermostats that can be found at most hardware stores. An amateur like me had no trouble replacing them. Like the old style thermostats, they have a switch position for "Fan Only".

Hope this helps,
    Jay Taylor

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

In cool, dry climates like Colorado, it is sometimes possible to get away without central A/C and use an evaporative cooler instead. Though it can reach the upper 90s in Denver in the summer, there is a significant cool-down (often to the 60s) in the evening, and the air is dry. But "swamp coolers" are not as effective as central A/C, and they add humidity to the air instead of removing it.

In hotter, more humid climates (like Austin), swamp coolers just don't cut it. Only central A/C running full blast will do the trick during the long, hot summer here...

5. JasonMC

Thanks for your replies. I'm not trying to compare evaporative coolers to air conditioners, I guess what my question is is, Can furnaces be run without any gas flowing to them. All I want is the blower to come on. I don't think my furnace has an option for just the blower to run. I've shut off the gas to the furnace but it won't turn on.

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have a swamp cooler with a hi/low and pump switch on the wall, and I also have "I think" its a LUX brand thermostat that runs the furnace.
    With the thermostat I can select fan only which will not light the flame but run the fan. My swamp is not plumed into the heating ducts but dumps out into the main hallway so it is different than your set up. Sounds to me if you get a thermostat that has a fan only switch it should work.
    Last summer while building my theater I decided I would need a central air system, so this spring I had one installed $1,900 installed. It is considerably nicer than the swamp but my theater is almost too cool and the vent is completely closed. While I was building the theater it was always hot down there. So now I have both swamp and central!

Wes

7. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Jason,

Do you have a thermostat mounted on any wall in your home?

Jay Taylor

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Wes sez...

9. JasonMC

Jay,
    I recently installed a digital thermostat in place of the old analog one. After installing it, the heater would turn on without any problems. I'm starting to think that maybe the thermostat is broken. Maybe a trip to Home Depot is in store for me.
    Thanks,
    Jason