What's new

New Home construction... which speakers?? (1 Viewer)

Hunter R

Auditioning
Hello to all. This is my first post here so please bear with me. I have searched through many threads here and have realized there are tons of people on this forum that really know their stuff!
Here is my situation. I am building a new home and I am just about to the insulation and drywall stage. I am wanting to install speakers in two of the walls and 2 in the ceiling. Now, I am not a big movie buff (no time) or real big into sound. But, I figure I only have one chance at running the wiring in the walls and ceiling, so I am doing it now. My question is this. I am having trouble finding speakers that are hidden. Most of what I have seen are freestanding, and I want to stay away from that. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just want to have them as invisible as possible. Also, I don't really want to take out another mortgage to pay for them. If any of you techno-gurus have any suggestions I would be very greatful. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
If not for movies then for...? It would be alot more helpful if folks know what kind of setup you're looking for (stereo only, 5.1 or...?) and something about a budget. Big differences in the answer if you're investing $500 or $5000. And in that regard consider that whatever you do that's built-in will be good but if you're going to bother then put in 3X the wires you think you need and put 'em "everywhere". If will never be easier or cheaper and you can't predict where you (or the next owner) will want them.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I remember some earlier posts by Phil Hamm reflecting on a brand of in-wall or in-ceiling speakers that he utilized. You might want to search for his posts to check on the brand and his experience with the product. It might provide you with some leads.

MikeNg

Second Unit
At this stage don't get too hung up on the 'what', since drywall is approaching. Determine 'how' you plan to use your AV in that room, then determine 'where' it will best be situated. Run the wires to that location (maybe even to an alternate location just in case - wire is relatively cheap, and the install is even cheaper when the walls are down).

There are MANY offerings for inwalls and inceilings. I've always recommended RBH Sound because it's the best I've heard for this type of application and the value they carry.

If you want to be 'value concious' check out their 'A'- Line of Architectural speakers. If you can spring for it, the MC series is really good for their price point. The MC-83 is killer.

Hunter R

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots to think about. As I said, I'm not a big movie buff but I only have one chance to do it before drywall. Dick, good point in putting in wires 'everywhere'. I put conduit in 5 places in the walls so I can get wiring from the basement to the attic space, therefor speakers in the ceiling are not my main concern. I know where the wall speakers are going to be located, but I was hoping to get an idea of what sizes and shapes are available. As for the budget, I'm not sure. I am not interested in a complete system right now, just info on speakers. Thanks also Wayne and Mike, I will check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks