New home. Architect or home plan books??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Wagner, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

We are going to build a new home in the near future. I am a nut for researching something to death before buying anything. If I use this approach it may be 5 years before we start.

Since I live in a rural area there are not many architects available. I have looked in some of the plan books but naturally no one plan is ideal. Since this is our first and most likely last house we will build we want it to be exactly the way we want. I know an architect can do exactly this but has anyone had experience using plan book plans and maybe modified them to suit or an experience with an architect that was good or bad. I guess I hate the thought of paying an architect big dollars for something that may be had for a lot less by using a home plan book. Any thoughts are appreciated. Also any online resources to research appliances, fixtures, etc. Thanks.

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I would start with a plan book well before you meet with an architect. We also spent a lot of time going to other homes in the area, parade of homes, homes for sale in parts of town we would never move to, but that would give us ideas we hadn't thought of. We also went to a variety of homes with different selling prices than what we could afford, sometimes you can take an idea typically reserved for the rich and make it your own (like we did with our theater room, for example...)
    After you 'research it to death', then meet with the architect and let him/her know what you want to accomplish. Then, stay on top of the architect constantly to make sure he/she is doing what YOU really want and not what he/she really wants.
    Good luck!
    PS: Don't forget that any new house built today REQUIRES a dedicated home theater room with at least a 100" screen and a popcorn machine [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

We pretty much did as Paul has said. We researched the plan books, used the internet, did parade of homes, went thru open houses on weekends, then met with an architect to design what we wanted. This was before I got into HT, so now I am putting my HT in the basement this winter.

I've been toying with a 'design your home' software package now to see what kind of home I could design for the next time, if there is one. It's one way for me to visualize the floor plan concepts.

Of course, after we've lived there for a short time, we found things we would have done differently, or would have enhanced... so the remodel list is already started and growing.

Good luck,

~Kurt

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

A good archiect should also take in to account the surroundings, and make sure you don't put a flat roof on in an area where there is a lot of snow, or anything like that. I wouldn't skip going to an architect. But I'd do my research first. If you get a good architect, it could be fun to let them go nuts and think of something neat on your property. You don't have to build it, and if you approach them properly, they may do it for fun or a small cost.

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I would agree with the above. Get as close to a floorplan as you can by looking at plans and doing walkthroughs. One thing that is a good idea is to make scale drawings of any important furniture you may have, so you can get an idea of how much space they'll occupy in your new house. Looking at empty rooms is one thing, but sticking that 8' bureau in there that cuts off the window and sticks into the bathroom is another. [​IMG]
    The architect can also help you with structural issues that plans alone can't, and discuss the tradeoffs for doing things different ways. The clearer your vision going in however, the less costly it should be to have the plans done up.

6. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice so far. I agree that going to open houses would help generate ideas. A home theater room is definitely a consideration.
    I would like to make it as maintenance free as possible and energy efficient. I'll keep looking and researching (to death). [​IMG]