New hobby!!Need help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave-u, Aug 2, 2002.

1. dave-u

dave-u Auditioning

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am new to the world of stereo. I have recently bought some new equipment and want to make sure I am getting the most out of it. I've done some research and found you guys to be very informative and professional. I am also happy to see that some of the stuff I have, you guys talk about. I do understand alittle bit about this stuff but as far as hook-ups and settings, I am lost! I guess a run down of what I have would help.
    Monitor:Hitachi 61udx10b
    Receiver[​IMG]enon 3802
    Speakers:Infinity IL 60's front channels
    Infinity IL 36c center channel
    Infinity IL 10's rear channels
    DVD Player:Had and older Panasonic rp-56 model but it recently has given up the ghost. Been watching you guys and the Denon DVD-1600 seems to be a pretty good choice. Any thoughts?
    I guess what I am really looking for is the best set-up for my speakers to match the 3802. I don't understand when they ask "small" or "large" speakers in the set-up menu. I don't know what to do with the sub settings since my subs are in my front channels.
    Alright, no sense in listing what I don't know, that would take to long. I really need someone to run down the whole set-up menu for me with my particular set-up.
    I would greatly appreciate any help!! Plus, I could really use some ideas on where to buy. Obviously you guys now where to buy. Some of the prices I've seen on here have been awesome. Again, any help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to talking with you guys in the future to learn more about this stuff and get the most out of my equipment.
    Thanks,dave-u

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

In most cases, speakers should be set to small all round since few main speakers can match the sub for bass.
    In your case though, since you apparently have speakers with built in bass speakers up front, you should set those two speakers to "large" and everything else to "small" (and separate subwoofer to none). That will redirect all deep bass to the front speakers (which shouldn't be a problem since humans are very poor at determining where deep bass is coming from, we take our cue from the accompanying higher frequency sounds. If they come from the surrounds, we assume the bass does too).
    Large and small speaker basically just tells the receiver what to send to the speakers - full range sound including deep bass or just everything above the receivers cutoff frequency, usually between 80-120 hz (sometimes selectable).
    Without a sub, the largest speakers should be set as large and then they can handle bass duties for the speakers that cannot extend deep enough, like surrounds and the center speaker (in most cases, they are smaller speakers).
    Oh, and welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

3. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Kimmo,

Super post! Clear, simple, direct.

Austin

4. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Since the IL60s are powered towers it's not quite as easy as large versus small. Consult the user manual for the speakers as it will give you the recommended configuration.

--Steve

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Lets hit a few more points:

Video: Since that looks like a HD monitor, you want to run component video cables straight from the DVD player to the TV.

Speakers:

In general, you want the tweeter on all speakers to be about the same height. With the center speaker sitting on the TV, it is usually too high so you can compensate by giving the speaker a bit of tilt.

If you put your center speaker on your TV, you should pull it forward at least 1/2 inch forward of the face of the TV (or it will acoustically couple to the TV). You should also get the center speaker up off the TV cabinent by making feet. Pink-rubber erasers, or rubber door-wedges are often used.

Your L/R speakers should be pulled into the room ahead of the TV and angled inward. You should try and have 2-3 feet of space around them away from any reflecting surfaces. Use a laser-pen to see where they are pointing. There are 3 commen ammounts of angle/toe-in:

- So the 2 speakers focus about 1-2 feet in front of the primary listening position. (This is the typical music positioning)

- So the 2 speakers focus directly on the listening position.

- So the 2 speakers focus 1-2 feet behind the listening position.

Since each speaker and room are different, you just have to play around to decide which works best for your system.

Rear Speakers: I prefer the rear tweeters to be at the same height as the fronts, perferably at your seated ear-level. (This is controversial and against the old Dolby guidelines.)

Go to Radio Shack and buy the analog SPL meter for about $40. Then buy/rent a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and these disks will tell you how to use the meter and adjust the volume levels for your speakers.

Hope this helps.

6. dave-u

dave-u Auditioning

Thanks for ideas Bob. I'm still trying to figure out how to set-up my speaker configurations. Do you know where I can buy-rent an AVIA disk? Would the r.a.b.o.s system to the same thing? Thanks dave-u

7. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Amazon has AVIA for $37.46, but you may be able to find it cheaper.
    Link

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Best bet to get Avia cheap would be Ebay. There is an auction right with the price at $22.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

And you can get the cheaper $16 but just as good Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc made by the AVIA people but aimed more at the starting-out crowd.
    For one, Barnes&Noble was carrying it in-store, and it's also there ONLINE and perhaps amazon.com