New Hitchcocks -- June 20

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulaJ, Jun 11, 2006.

1. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

I see there are four Hitchcock titles being rereleased on June 20 -- Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble with Harry.

Are these new transfers or what is the story with them?

If this has been discussed in another thread, someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I believe these are just single disc re-releases of the versions that were part of the Hitchcock box they did last year (with new transfers).

3. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

Have the new Vertigo or Psycho discs been released individually yet? Those are the only two from the original box set that I want to double dip on. (I did see the new Marnie in Best Buy a couple weeks ago... I assume they're doling out a couple at a time.)

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Vertigo and Psycho have not been re-released individually yet, probably because Universal realizes that incentive to buy the box set will be decreased once those two become available on their own.

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I'd love to see VERTIGO and PSYCHO given the deluxe treatment, with 2-disc sets with some new extras (as well as original poster art on the covers). I know, it'll never happen. But hey, I can dream, right? [​IMG]

6. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone! Your comments were most helpful. I did a search for the thread about the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection and here for handy reference are Robert Harris' comments about the four titles now being released individually:

The Trouble with Harry is a fine looking transfer, which has a cleaner and more accuragte look to it.

Saboteur is a major improvement over the older rendition.

Shadow of a Doubt, one of the great Hitchcock films, has a cleaner look.

Topaz looks cleaner with better shadow detail, and more accurate color.

I too pray for the day we get SEs of Vertigo and Psycho. Right now I still just have those two on laser disc!

I'll probably get the Saboteur DVD since according to Mr. Harris it is a much improved version over the old one.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I will ONLY double dip on the two that weren't given proper anamorphic releases the first time around (PSYCHO and VERTIGO). The other releases look just fine to me. I can wait until Universal finally gives them to us individually.

8. runnersdialzero

runnersdialzero Stunt Coordinator

Any news on when we might see the rest of the Hitchcock titles release seperately? Like Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window?

Saxon

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I saw a special screening of The Birds this weekend, with Tippi Hedren in attendance. The original dvd of this title faithfully captures what I saw on the screen. The same colors, grain structure, and framing. I'm very pleased with the copy I have. However, as I mentioned in another thread, the audio on Psycho needs to be fixed. I hope when they do take the transfer from the AHC, they fix the minor audio sync flaw.

10. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Isn't the current Rear Window fine? I wish they'd hurry up with Psycho & Vertigo--I refuse to buy that box set for those 2 titles. I was hoping for a Christmas release, but nothing yet.
    And what happened to the British Hitchcock movies that MGM was rumored to release a year or more ago? R1 desperately needs quality releases of Hitch's British pictures--at least Germany has treated those movies with respect.

11. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I'd like to have The Birds, Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, Marnie, Frenzy and Family Plot on HD DVD.

12. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

They found out that Disney owns them and they had no claim. The odd thing about this is that criterion didn't just get them to extend the window on their editions...since both are in good graces. I assume some legal battle must be happening

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

The British Hitchcock films are owned by Carlton, StudioCanal, and Gaumont. The only four Hitchcock films owned by Buena Vista are the four Selznicks (Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case), which are part of the ABC Films library (along with Straw Dogs, Charly, Take the Money and Run, etc). Buena Vista actually licensed the ABC Films library to MGM, but all they did with it is release a bare-bones Straw Dogs (same transfer as Criterion's), a pan & scan Take the Money and Run, and a 16x9 Charly.

Even though the Laserlight editions are far from perfect, I was surprised by how watchable their Sabotage was. A bit contrasty and soft, but it was at least progressive and it had good sound.

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

MGM has released quite a few other ABC productions to DVD. See, e.g., Space Camp, Prizzi's Honor, Silkwood, Impulse, Young Doctors in Love...

DJ