New Hitachi 57F500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonWeb, Jan 27, 2003.

1. DonWeb

DonWeb Auditioning

Jan 25, 2003

Proud owner of my first RPTV as of Friday and I've never been more pleased with a television. I have been reading this forum for quite awhile and it has helped me make many decisions about the TV and the other equipment I purchased.

My first question is display output. I know that everyone says that you can only watch in 540p or 1080i on these sets but when I fire up NBA2k3 on the Xbox and it switches into 720p the set actually reads 720p. Now I assume that this is just the set telling me what the feed is...or is it actually displaying 720p?? I can use the Virtual HD and toggle between 540p and 1080i of course but if I just bring up the info it always says 720p...can anyone clarify on this?

Further...since the TV is a whopping 3 days old are there any general guidelines I should follow for avoiding burn in etc.? Like how long should I limit a video game session to? Will those little black bars hurt anything when watching a 16:9 movie? I'm currently waiting on the new Digital Video Essentials disc to come out before I make a purchase for the calibration end of things.

I have turned down my contrast to 30% and the brightness to 45%, played with the color settings etc. and am very please with the picture. It simply thrills me that using a calibration disc might allow me to have an even better picture.

I wanted to also give my thanks to everyone that posts so much wonderful information here. This place is an incredible resource.
  2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Feb 19, 2001
    did you get a chance to compare the new F500 to the previous model (uwx)? were there any significant differences?

any change in the stretch modes or physical appearance of the set?