New Highlander/my observations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John M. Ford, Mar 20, 2002.

1. John M. Ford

John M. Ford Agent

I was able to purchase the Higlander Immortal Collection today. For obvious reasons I will not say where. I just wanted to let folks know that after comparing it with the earlier Republic release I am more than satisfied that Anchor Bay has done justice to this film. The artifacting that plagued the original disc is gone. The colors look more vibrant and the sound is fantastic. As to the extras, all of you will have to make your own decision if it is worth the extra money. I decided to purchase it cause the single disc set was not available. If the single disc set is as well done as this, I think fans will be very happy.

johnf

2. Pete_Calderwood

Pete_Calderwood Auditioning

Is the metal case of the edition you got keepcase sized? Also, is it true the bonus disc is only a 3-track CD? Thanks.

3. John M. Ford

John M. Ford Agent

Pete, yes the tin is the size of a double keepcase (which is what the discs are in).

Also, yes, the cd is only three songs. Since I am not a huge Queen fan, the only song I really liked was Princes of the Universe. But, thats just me.

johnf

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The second disc in the Immortal Edition is a three CD single. Two of the songs, you can get on the CD "A Kind of Magic." The only song exclusive to the single is the extended version of "One Year of Love."

Also exclusive to the Immortal Edition are the case, music videos, and still galleries.

5. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Not only did they rip into the transfer, they ripped a little into the film as well. Oh well, to each his own. I for one will be getting this for sure as it is one of my all-time favourite films - and since I am a Queen fan, I will get the special edition. Can't wait until mid-April.[​IMG]

7. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

8. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

9. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

He's definitely no fan. No fan would label it a B movie.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I believe the elements are not in the best shape, which would probably account for many of Peter's complaints. The original commentary was great, so there was no need to repeat it. I would have loved a Christoperh Lambert and/or Clancy Brown commentary though
    They probably blew their documentary budget on those music videos, but I'm thrilled I'll get to see them [​IMG]

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Actually I have heard that the Queen music videos and the Still Galleries are only available in the 2 disc set, so I think there are 2 different discs with the film.....
    So it's NOT just the 2nd CD that makes the discs different.
    [​IMG] D

12. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

13. rutger_s

Anchor Bay did produce two versions of Highlander on DVD.

Highlander: THX Certified is the director's cut of the film presented in anamorphic widescreen with dts ES, Dolby Digital EX, and Dolby Surround English soundtracks.

Highlander: Immortal Edition has the same specs and features as the THX Certified version. The Immortal Edition also has three Queen music videos, two still galleries, metal slipcase, and a compact disc with three songs.

If you compare the CD single included with the Immortal Edition to the CD "A Kind of Magic," you'll find that two of the songs from the single are on the full-length CD. The only song exclusive to the CD single is the extended recording of "One Year of Love."

So unless you really want to see the music videos or own a special extended version of one song...you could just buy the standard Highlander release and, if you have not done so already, the CD "A Kind of Magic."

14. stewart borland

stewart borland Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, you've lost me now :b :b ....
    I've got the Region 1 box set of 1 & 2. Highlander is billed as a deluxe collectors edition, THX certified, and as the 10th Anniversary Directors Cut, and 2 is the Renegade version.
    Are either of these AB releases worthwhile purchases for me (forgetting about the Queen CD) or is what I've got about the same? I'm a big Highlander fan (I've got all 4) but I'm confused about all the different versions, old & new, now [​IMG]
    Many thanks,

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The Artisan transfer on Highlander is.....crap. It's non-anamorphic and a poster child for bad compression. It also contained a still gallery and a Dolby Digital 5.1 track

The Anchor Bay version seems to be much better, is anamorphic and has both Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES soundtracks. It also contains the commentary from the Artisan version, as well as (if you buy the tin) the 3 related Queen music videos and the aforementioned CD

So yes, the Anchor Bay version is a good upgrade

16. rutger_s

There are three versions of Highlander in R1:

The first version:

Distributed by Republic/Artisan

Deluxe Collector's Edition

>Letterbox Widescreen

>Dolby Digital English

>Audio Commentary

>Still Gallery

The new versions:

Distributed by Anchor Bay

THX Certified

>Anamorphic Widescreen

>dts ES English

>Dolby Digital EX English

>Dolby Surround English

>Audio Commentary

>Trailers

Immortal Edition

>Anamorphic Widescreen

>dts English

>Dolby Digital EX English

>Dolby Surround English

>Audio Commentary

>Music Videos

>Still Galleries

>CD Single

>Trailers

>Special Metal Slipcase

If you enjoyed Highlander, I suggest picking up the standard THX Certified version of Highlander distributed by Anchor Bay. The anamorphic widescreen transfer is much, much better then the letterbox widescreen transfer found on the Republic/Artisan release.

The Republic/Artisan release has a gold cover with Christoper Lambert & Sean Connery's faces on opposite sites of the MacLeod sword.

All three release have the same audio commentary.

Unless you are a big Queen fan there is no reason to pick up the Immortal Edition.

17. Will_B

Will_B Producer

That review either completedly messed up describing the two new versions, or else the plans changed,

Put aside the issue of the stupid CD-single for a moment and look at the DVD:

Originally, the collector's tin's DVD was to have Queen music videos and other extra materials on it, but the regular DVD would omit those materials.

The review I saw seemed to assume that the DVD was identical in both versions - but it did not sound as if the reviewer actually checked if that was true, it sounds like he just assumed both DVD were identical.

Wait for a better review before making any decisions!

18. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Immortal Collection now at a certain Wharehouse.AB shipped Highlander and Book of the Dead together under the same sku# so it does not show up in the wharehouse'inventory as breaking a street date.

19. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Philip,
    Highlander was indeed a B movie made on a fairly small budget.
    B-Movie doe not mean a bad movie. In fact the many B-movies have gone down as classics over the years.
    Now if the guy over at DVD file don't like it, then that is his problem, not ours. [​IMG]
    Max

20. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Anybody have any news on the TV seriesseason 1 release?