What's new

New high-power plate amps from Adire... (1 Viewer)

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Charlie,

We don't do single boxes - if you want a run of a few hundred, well, then we can talk...;)

For HIGH quality single boxes, I strongly second Dean's recommendation of Acoustic Visions. Fabulous enclosure quality, great people to work with.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
I just thought that if the Tumuld/amp in a 2.5 ft sealed box was so good, that it would be the next upgrade to the Dharman. not trying to get (1) box from adire. heck, Im an engineer for a custom wood shop, I can get my own boxes made. but yes Acoustic Visions does excelent work.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
"i hope you're kidding! or are really friendly with the neighbors if you're thinking of 4 tempest or a Tumult ! "

Yes, I was kidding. I don't think I'd put that much inmy house. I only read these threads cuz I'm thinking about possibly upgrading my Tiny Mity.

I don't know if it helps, but I'm an apartment dweller as well and I run a sealed Koda 10. It definitely has enough to shake the walls more than my neighbors would like. Heck, if you are already planning on spending Tumult money, why not go with dual Koda 10's and then be able to knock the pictures off your neighbors walls when they are gone. I can link you to a review of one of our dealers who did this if you would like.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
a question for the Adire folks...

Is the Rumble filter defeatable? It doesn't seem so from a peak at the back panel pic, but might be from the standpoint of a user board mod (similar to the LT/Dipole EQ).

Reason... this type of amp would work very very well for a sealed LT/IB setup, yet the rumble filter defeats to an extent the very reason to go to that type of setup.

There's an ever increasing number of DVDs out there with content in the infransonic teens and lower (BHD, Master and Commander, Matrix Revolutions, etc etc.), and it would be nice to have the option of going extremely low.

So, easily defeatable or not? :)

David

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
hmmmm stereo sealed tumults with my mains and 4 IB tempests...drooooooool. :)

thank you adire.
PS, I know adire is SVS competition and Im not sure if youll even frown at the thought of this question, BUT, many forum members buy SVS passive subs then wall mount PE amps at the wall for their sub. Can an Adire person speculate on what this amp could push? dual towers?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
David,

Tack-solder a pair of resistors on the back of the board and you can drop the cutoff down to the 5 Hz range without a problem.

Charlie,

It'll push 1200W... Should be enough for just about any type of subwoofer you can think up... Dual towers, multiple drivers, etc. If 1000+W is enough for your solution, this amp could do it.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I think SVS don't mind people using whatever amps they want to push their subs. Hopefully SVS will go back to the drawing board and have their supplier add these features as well...:emoji_thumbsup:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Possible but not likely.

Contracts with their current Plate Amp-supplier/s will have to run their course. Know nothing of what SVS has set up, so just ~{pure speculation}~. The Plate amps their using now, certainly are no slouchs!

New yet to be SVS subs/designs/models might allow for a possile new amp supplier "if they choose to look at something" other than their current PB/PC-Sub Plate Amp supplier..

Adire would be considered a competing CO naturaly, tho supplying HQ plate amps carrying the SVS logo and features "they want or need", certainly could be worked out I'm sure.. ~{But, (I) certainly would not hold my breath}~.

If anything, I would hope someone is looking at what Dan/Adire has done and might be taking notes of the specific intrest they are drawing. These latests Plate Amps with their many excellent features & their possibilitys are truly something many have waited long for.

Just my worthless 2¢'s

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
amen to that Geoff. now I gotta figure out how to tweak the Linkwitz.

oh yeah, and sell ALL of my plasma

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Please remember that we are primarily a supplier to other companies. Even to the point of turn-key assembly - they send us POs, their distributors receive boxed, labeled, fully finished pallets of equipment.

We move a LOT of subwoofers (with cabinets and amps) every month. Less than 5% bear the Adire name...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Sorry Mr.W, serious brain fart. :crazy:

So stuck in DIY I just plain forgot about how much farm work you do!
Also why we DIY'ers have to wait, ugg, many times to get your latests and greatest goodies... ;)

Still,,,Just Jammin Amps!

DanWiggins

Second Unit
UPDATE: Enough people who have preordered the ADA amps have asked about bypassing/defeating the rumble filter that we've done just that. It will ship from here set to 2 Hz with a Q=0.5. Essentially no rumble filter at all.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

Dan, are you saying that the amps are going to not have a rumble feature at all? Or are you adding instructions with the amps for user modding the amp?

EDIT: Just checked out the Adire homepage and looked up the specs again for the rumble feature in the ADA amps. Now it says "2hz .5 qtc". Awesome.

Dan, you just made me forget about the Crown K1/K2!

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
a suggestion for the Adire folks...

One thing that has perplexed me over the past year is that there have never been any reference Adire designs published for the Tumult.

Shiva, Tempest, maelstron, all have a nice set of at least 3 designs apiece, in some cases as many as 9 designs (3 each of sealed, ported, and PR'd).

If you poke around enough, you can find hints and suggestions of various designs. Dan Wiggins has suggested at least four wrapped-port designs for Tumults at various times: 3ft^3-18hz, 4ft^3-16hz (with same slot port), 5ft^3 18hz, and 6 ft^3 17 hz (described as being linear to completely stupid levels) as well as sealed LT designs. PR'd designs (predominately stryke 18") have been perhaps the most popular, or at least the most discussed.

Given that Adire is now selling one of the most potent drivers and a custom-made "match made in heaven" plate amp, I think the time has come to put some of these designs up on their web site.

Suggestions?
Sealed LT design with suggested LT settings for ADA amp
wrapped port designs with Adire, SBB4, and EBS alignments
PR's designs with 4 Adire/2 Stryke PR's. I'd like to see what response curves (anechoic and room) can be expected (like posted curves for Maelstrom ported designs) and some kind of verbage about expected response and quality of sound.

Given that "less than 5% of Adire sales go out with Adire names on them", and DIY probably makes up a small portion of even that, this might not be a high priority.

Nevertheless, Adire is selling the pieces to make perhaps the best DIY subs that can be easily built. Be a shame not to put the designs in front of the potential customers as well.

thanks.

And thanks for the rumble filter mod :)

David

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
oh, one more question...

How do these ADA amps clip? I remember reading where someone (might have even been Dan Wiggins) warning about some brand of pro amp which clipped "nastily" and would cook drivers with nasty clipping.

Some amps have soft clip features which can sonic signatures all of their own, and not necessarily nice ones.

So do these clip "nicely"? :)

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks