New Here!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DonWon, Aug 30, 2004.

1. DonWon

DonWon Auditioning

Hi,

My name is Don, and I just wanted to introduce myself. I an in the process of building a new home and of course a dedicated home theater. I am still in the planning phases, and have read through most of the FAQ's and some threads that were of intrest.

Ill be starting from scratch, and have an idea of the equipment I would like. So here is what I have to work with:
    14x18 room, no windows. Probably around 8 foot ceiling height. My HT philosophy is "get something a little better than what I wanted" this way, I wont want something better. (I know, but its worked for me in the past, we will have to see if the same applies to HT)[​IMG]

I'll try to refrain from asking specific questions at this point (I have been working the search). With that being said; since I have a blank canvas, does anyone have any comments or advice that would assist in the planning or other things to consider? Thank you in advance.

PS: I've read the "things I would have done differently thread"

2. Conrad Ebel

Conrad Ebel Agent

That thread is where I started. I was in your position about six months ago, with my house just being built. Now I am a few weeks away from finally letting myself buy my PJ (as instructed to in the above mentioned thread) and start enjoying some movies again (I've not really enjoyed a good movie for over a year, ever since I decided to build a dedicated HT in my new house).

I took notes as I read that thread because I knew I wouldn't remember all those good ideas. I just checked them off as I went.

Spend a lot of time on researching and then stay motivated during the building process. I make myself do at least one thing every day on it, and things are progressing pretty quickly that way.

Your big decisions and issues will include:

Seating - size, # of seats, comfort

Color scheme - Something that will look good and be dark

Lighting - wall sconces? Rope lights?

PJ - distance from screen will be needed for mounting and wiring placement

Equipment rack - Location, power, kid proof? This is a big one for me. Still don't know what I'm going to do.

Insulation - Sound proof ALL the walls/ceiling or floor. YOU CAN NOT HAVE ENOUGH SOUND PROOFING.

Cabling - Wire for at least 7.1, even if you aren't going to use it right away (I did 8.1 with a rear center channel). Run s-video, component and DVI (and whatever else you want or can think of) to your PJ. I didn't do the DVI and already regret it.

Power - Figure out what your needs are. I wish I would have run at least TWO dedicated circuits (instead of one), one for the PJ and one for the equipment. I am running my lighting off of shared circuit with other rooms in the upstairs, I hope this won't be a problem.

Cooling - My HT is upstairs. It is already getting warm in there and I don't even have any equipment/PJ/people in there yet. It will be an issue.

Anyway, these are a few things that I thought of that were issues for me. I'm sure your list will be different. But just do your research, get ideas and go with what sounds good to you.

Good luck with your project.

3. DonWon

DonWon Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback Conrad. Lots of great suggestions. The cooling didnt cross my mind.