New here , please convince me on HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Henley, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Jack Henley

Jack Henley Auditioning

Hi, I am new to the boards but not new to home hifi. Albeit a little newer to RPTV and HDTV I know more about stereo equipment then I do tv equipment but I do know that I love to watch a great picture on a big screen be it a dvd or television.

Enough about me heres my problem...

Recently I've begun my search for a HDTV and have been reading about them a lot lately. I'm looking at two models currently...A Mitsu 65869 and a Pioneer Elite Pro-720HD. Ive seen both in action and I really do think the pioneer is the better of the two but anyways...ive talked to salesman and just yesterday one told me to NOT buy a HDTV because of broadcasting and that they will probably be incompatible within a year or two.

I have read the article that was linked to one of the posts here and both the tv's i'm looking at have a DVI input and integrated tuners.

I was completly sold until that person told me not to and that article doesn't help the matters any either. I like to talk (or read in this case) to other real people on issues that have some knowledge on the subject, so hence ....any and all information you can give me would be great.

Also are those two models of HDTV's a good choice to choose from? Should I buy now, or wait a while?

Thanks a lot

Jack

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Welcome.

If you buy now, you can start enjoying HDTV now!

If you wait, HDTV will get 'better' [DVI, anyone?] & cheaper.

Search around too find out if there is HDTV over the air or on sat., that you would like. HDNet [ch. 199 on DirecTV] is enough for me too jump on board. The Winter Olympics sounded & looked great! CBS is going a nice job with March Madness.

If you were to read the post on this page of this site, you would know more about HDTV than just about any salesperson you could find [or at least 9 out of 10]. Than go out and look. Seeing is believing.

3. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

This post from a below thread says a lot. Read and do your own DD before making the jump. You can't just go to a store without knowing the facts.

-----------------------------------------

HDTV primer based on 2 years of viewing in the BalWash area.

If you need convincing about what HDTV has to offer you must find someone who has a front projection, large screen (100-150") with HD input capability (OTA, Sat, Cable). The chances of finding anything like this type of setup in any store is Nil.

Once you see this type of setup you will understand what the appeal is. No description of HDTV can live up to 10 seconds of seeing it on a large screen.

Some Observations:

1) HDTV offers superior source material, superior in every way to any other form of consumer video. Superior source material demands a superior display device. Superior source material enables large displays without scaling artifacts as part of the "blow up".

2) HDTV ready sets do not make a silk purse out of a sow's whatever. Trying to view normal NTSC source material on any HD set is painful at best and a waste of time and money. DVD or HD material on an HD set is the only thing that makes sense.

3) Forget about recording on VHS of any downcoverted HD material. The quality loss makes this a waste of time and money. HD recording will take off with the introduction of HD "TIVO" like devices that record to large hard disks. They will probably start to appear in 2 years.

4) Sources of HD material will vary on your geographical location. If you live in an area that has broadcast OTA HD material you should be able to get NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS material but it varies greatly all over the country. If you can get satellite service then you can get HBO, HDNET and Showtime but getting broadcast HD is problematic again. Cable companies are slowly getting into the act and will offer broadcast material but this probably will not start happening until the end of this year into next year for large parts of the country. Cable guys know NOTHING about HDTV so don't even try to ask about it.

5) Display devices. Get the largest thing you can handle. If you see something like a front projector as recommended above you will never have a normal TV again.

6) Set top boxes are a MUST. There are about 5 or 6 OTA/Satellite receivers on the market for DirectTV and Dish. Cable companies use 1 or 2 boxes supplied by them. I would not buy something with an integrated HD tuner. The technology is changing too fast. Expect to buy or replace the tuner in 2-3 years. All the HD tuners also tune regular NTSC and upconvert it into awful looking stuff.

7) Once you see HDTV on a large screen properly adjusted (So that you are really seeing HD not some upconvert crap). YOU WILL NEVER EVER WANT TO LOOK AT NORMAL TV, VHS TAPES OR ANY OTHER PRIOR VIDEO SOURCE EVER AGAIN. It is that good. If you get hooked, spend the money on the display everything else is secondary.

4. Jack Henley

Jack Henley Auditioning

good posts, I appreciate the info. Great advice to thanks!

Jack