What's new

New here. Need help selecting a RP widescreen CRT TV around 51" or so: (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'll chime in again and I find that the Sony overall (for me anyway) had the warmest and overall better picture. I saw the Hitachi Model, Panasonic model and Mitsubishi models in Sears when I was looking. All the t.v.s were in the vicinity of a HD Broadcast on a Big 65 inch Mitsuibishi (65 inch was too large) and the Sony via S-video looked the closest to the HD display. It was HD-Discovery Channel and they were showing snakes and the color tones from the Sony was really closest to the HD display. The others sets had some issues with tint, the Panny had some color bleed and the smaller Mitsubishi model was prettty close as well but a little bright. I could have gotten a good deal on either sets as a friend is a manager of Best Buy so it boiled down to picture and I thought the Sony looked best overall SD and HD. Glad I made the choice with the Sony.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor

If you can save hundreds of $$$ on the WX, go for it, but if you can't, the X model is well worth the extra money.

What you see in the stores is very different when you get it home.

The Panny shines if you get it professionally calibrated.

Which ever set you get, you should at least use a setup disc like Avia and calibrate the set. It makes a big improvement. If you want the best PQ as possible and can afford ISF Calibration, you will see a huge improvement over a setup disc.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Panny shines when professionally calibrated, mostly because it's so far out before calibration! I've calibrated tons of Toshibas, plenty of Panasonics, a number of Hitachis, and a few Sonys.

In my humble opinion, the Toshibas calibrate best. They have the best selection of service menu options and internal firmware design, which if set up properly, can give you nearly perfect levels right across the board with only the 'Movie' mode to worry about. On the other models, you have to set 'Movie' mode for one input type, 'Sports' mode for another type, etc.

The Panasonic will probably end up with the more detailed image, but it's less consistent across the screen. It's extremely difficult to get focus linear, for example. Tells me that the effort to perfect the image on the finished product isn't as high. Still, a fine set though.

But at the end of the day, it's one of those things were there really isn't a 'wrong' choice. Whatever you buy, you will more than likely love and turn into an advocate for!

Jason Kelly

Auditioning
Well, I've decided to go with the Panasonic PT-47X54.

Thanks everyone for the help and insight.

Incidentally I'm buying this set with 30 day price protection and 30 day satisfaction gaurantee. If the price drops (anywhere) I'm covered and if for some reason I'm not satisfied with the set I can return it and try the Sony or one of the others.

My only remaining question would be... Are the extended warranty plans worth it for CRT RPTVs? What are the chances of something going wrong in years 3-6? I'd be covered for the first year by the standard manufacturer's warranty and covered a 2nd year by my credit card. But is an extended warranty a waste of money? I've heard lots about the expensive repairs sometimes required, etc.

Thanks! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
i normally avoid extended warranties like the plague as they are almost never worth it

however in the case of this crt-tv i would go for it

i was at a and b sound looking at the hitachi f510 and i think he gave me a price of $250 for a 5 year warranty extension

i personally wouldn't buy any of these tv's without an extended warranty

problems are possible and repairs pricey

it seems a small price to pay for peace of mind that it will be working for at least 5 years

plus i think the 5 year warranty includes in home service tuneups which really makes it worth it

this is my 2 cents..i may be off base here...i would like to hear other opinions

let us know how the panny looks

also where are you getting it and how much?
ian

Jason Kelly

Auditioning
Assuming I'm allowed to quote prices here (still new here), I bought the PT-47X54 from A&B Sound here in Edmonton for $1698.99 (CDN$).

And the extended warranty was $249.95 for 5 years (6 total if my credit card covers year 2 without overlap).

The TV gets delivered to my house tonight! How exciting. :D

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Double check the fine print there. Many price guarantees do not cover a manufacturer's price drop. So if Panasonic drops the price, you get nothing.

As for the extended warranty, the number one failure of these sets is the convergence ICs (seems like at least 50% will fail within 5 years). It's nearly $300CDN to service this, so all you've really done is paid up front for that.

Jason Kelly

Auditioning
Woohoo! I've already been able to take advantage of price protection. New price: $1599 CDN

I took the recent Best Buy flyer and my original receipt back to A&B Sound and they refunded me the difference no questions asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks