New here. Need advice on h/t.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. I'm new here and I'm looking to slowly build (b/c I'm poor [​IMG] ) a home theater setup for my living room. I know almost nothing about home theater so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions for quite a while. Anywho, I need to know what is the best way to go about building up my setup. It'll probably be used for 95% movies and 5% music. Like I said I don't have a lot of money right now, so I'd like to take it step by step. In what order should I go about buying equipment? What are some good brands to look into? About the only good brand that I know of that is in my price range is Adire Audio (I'm currently running their Shiva in my truck and I love it). What is any advice that you all could give me? I need to know a lot, so just fire away. [​IMG] Thanks for everyone's time and I look forward to hanging out here quite a bit. Later.
    Dan

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, you'll probably want to start with a nice TV and a DVD player. After that, you can add the front speakers, then centre and surround speakers, then a subwoofer. What kind of a budger do you have?
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1

3. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

General tips are as follows:
    1) Get the best speakers you can. They last the longest because technology here doesn't change nearly as fast as things like receivers.
    2) TV's are a real pain right now. If your budget is tight get a reasonably sized direct view tv that could be moved into a bedroom when the HDTV fiasco settles down and is readily available.
    3) Without a budget it is hard to help in the receiver area. Assuming you want to go receiver vs. separates.
    4) There are tons of inexpensive DVD players around so I don't have much advice there.
    Get us more information on budget, this will help us help you.
    Paul.

4. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have a TV and VCR and I'm going to be getting a DVD player soon. I'm not too sure what my budget would be, but if I have to save up for a while to get a receiver and speakers that will last, then I will. Other than that I don't really have too many guidlines for a budget. Thanks for the quick replies.
    Dan

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dan -
    since you already have a tv and dvd, then your video portion is already done.
    i'd concentrate on the audio portion - get the speakers and receiver. specifically:
    1. receiver: get one with dts/dd and you'll be fine. post questions on this topic in the hardware forum - you'll get plenty of replies. there are several brands that are always recommended - denon, onkyo, yamaha and outlaw are all good choices.
    2. speakers: get your left/right first, then center, then rears, and finally the sub. there are so many speaker companies it's ridiculous. paradigm, polk, klipsch, energy, boston acoustics, definitive technology, and n0rh are just a few you'll see here. again, post in the hardware forum.[/list=a]
      do a lot of reading in the hardware forum, since this seems to be your focus right now. actually, an even better idea for you would be to use the search function. just search something like "recommended speaker" or "recommended receiver" and you'll find many hits.
      hope that helps.
      welcome to our world...
      [​IMG]
      ------------------
      You step in the stream,
      But the water has moved on.
      This page is not here.

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

While looking for a dvd player,Pioneer makes great budget players.I have one,the dv-333 and I could not be happier.I think it was just under $200.Not sure of current models and I know there are some for much less but with my first dvd player I found out you usually get what you pay for...It lasted less than a year before I got the pioneer.
    Recievers..Do you have a stereo reciever now?If so,keep it in use a bit longer.Get yourself the best pair of speakers you can,or if you want to spend a bit less get a smaller less expensive pair,upgrade them down the road then throw them in the back for your surrounds.
    After the first pair of speakers,I would then look into a reciever,get atleast dd/dts.As said,recievers change almost weekly so just get the best you can and be happy with it.
    Next would be the center channel.then the surrounds.Then the really fun part...THE SUB.If you already have an old stereo reciever,look no further than SVS.For under $400 you can get one heck of a sub.I have the 25-31cs.I paid $399(i hear its less not) and use the old reciever to power it.I am currently using an old yamaha 70wpc reciever to push mine and it does a wonderful job.
    As mentioned,spend the most on speakers.They last a long time,do alot of listening,take cd's and dvd's you know by heart to listen to.Make several trips to listen to them,they might sound different on different days...DO NOT LET THE SALESMAN HURRY YOU.Unless you want to upgrade every year as I did.Now I finally have a set of speakers I can be happy with for many years to come.
    Just take your time,ask quesitions here and you wont be disappointed
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs