What's new

New here...help me pick speakers; Paradigm vs... (1 Viewer)

RickTop

Grip
How is everyone-

just now registering on this forum after reading for about two years. a good friend is a member and urged me to gain advice on an upcoming home theater setup. i really need to decide on speakers.

back ground on my tastes, etc. i am NOT by any means an audiophile. just an enthusiast. i recently moved out of a house where my roommate had a complete B&W setup: (604 fronts, 601 surs, scr 600 cntr) with an SVS sub. this was all controlled by a Marantz sr 7300. i list all this as this is what my idea of a perfect ht sounds like. im used to it and i feel it does a great job with music as well as ht. i really will use it more watching movies than music, but spend alot of time listening to music and i like it loud as well as accurate.

i will be using the Marantz with whatever new speakers i buy. i am leaning twards an SVS if i can get one used.

now on to the main point. my budget: i am really only prepared to invest $750 in a 5 speaker setup. i need to keep it as close to $500-600 as possible as i want to keep total expenditure around $1000 if possible.

right now i am seriously considering the following setup from JBL's Northridge line: e80 fronts, ec35 cntr, e20 surrounds. this totals $580 shipped.

my friend is advising me to spend a little more for better speakers. doing some research, i am considering Mordaunt
Short (914s, etc which comes right to $1000 minus sub) and radiient's hyperion line ($700; also no sub) as well as paradigm's performance line.

i know the paradigm setup is the way to go, but it matches nothing that we (my wife and i) currently have in our living room as well as being over budget. we are adamnent about finding a beech/light maple veneer speaker. aesthetics are important to us and i have a certain look that i like (the B&Ws and JBLs) also, i much prefer a floorstander.

i really dont feel that my ear sophisticated enough to appreciate the paradigms over the JBLs and my wife is not an enthusiast at all.

any advice, comments (especially on the radiients as their pedigree shows promise) or alternate suggestions?

thanks for reading this long post, especially as it's my first.

Rick

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
im a fan of boston speakers and they are in that price range. a nice pair of VR1s and a VRC and some CR65s for the back. that totals $1000 without a sub, but ive never paid exactly what the manufactuer recomends especially if your buying a set. I own a pair of Boston VR1s and even though many argue that these are very musical speakers and while that is true if you like music and like it loud then these are great speakers and they handle HT duties honorably.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Listen to a lot more speakers. IMO the Paradigms sound very different from the B&W's. There are many good speakers that sound different from each other. It is in your best interest to find the sound you like the best. Some prefer brighter speakers and other prefer warmer speakers. My personal favorite in the bang for buck category is Ascend Acoustics. They could get you something in your budget but you would be better off if you could stretch a little. 170's are probably what you want across the front with that budget.

RickTop

Grip
thank you for your responses. i have heard that bostons tend to be very bright. however, i have not listened to them myself. i have used their products in my cars for years, so i do like them.

i have looked at the ascends but they just aren't what i am looking for. again, thanks for your input.

Jacob C

Second Unit
You may want to explain what kind of look you need. Its hard to suggest speakers if asthetics are an issue. Check out Onix they have some nice looking stuff but their better lines will be out of your budget. Maybe look at their ELTs. Best of luck.

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Hey just thought I would mention this to you. Have you checked out the all new type X speakers over at av123.com? These speakers look to be a tremendous bargain. For your budget you could get an entire system with sub for around that price. These speakers are made out of real wood veneer and use very good drivers in them. I can assure you the quality of them will be top notch and look very good in any living room. Anyways, good luck with your decision. Right now I believe av123 is taking pre-orders only of the new type X speakers.

RickTop

Grip
referencing the last two posts, as stated in the original post, i like B&W speakers like we used to have. the light wood. (birch,maple,etc) i would try to post a pic, but am not allowed.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I am using Mordaunt-Short 906 fronts, 902 rears, and 504 centre with a Marantz 7300 OSE. I feel this combo (and my previous receiver, a Marantz 6200) work very well together... you won't be disappointed with MS/Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks