What's new

New here... help looking for a receiver (1 Viewer)

Nick McDowell

Auditioning
I'm just getting the home theater bug (I know, I know... a really new newbie)... and I'm looking for some help in the amplifier/receiver dept.

To me, it seems like a receiver is a receiver. But the more I look around the more I realize that I couldn't be more wrong.

Right, now, I'm getting into it slowly since I'm building a house. I'll be starting out with 2 pr of Paradigm Atoms, and Definitive Technology ProSub 80 and now the receiver of choice. I'll eventually upgrade to towers for my fronts, I expect. I'm looking in the neighborhood of $300-500 for a receiver and was wondering what some popular opinions were.

I've been considering a few: Yamaha HTR-5740, Harman Kardon AVR230, Onkyo TX-SR601 and the Denon AVR-1804.

My listening area is roughly 18'x12' with a vaulted ceiling (if that matters)

any help? Thanks in advance!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Bump the Yamaha to the HTR 5760, The HK to the 330/430 and the Denon to the Denon 3803.
FYI......
HK you can buy a refurb from here:
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...REC&market=HOM
Or on Ebay

The yamaha can also be found on line at a great price.

The denon 3803 can be found online for roughly $530 - Bstock

I would also add the Pioneer 914 to you list of receivers.

THen if you can go to a local shop and compare some of the receivers.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Based on the speakers you have I wouldn't spend more than $350 on a receiver. The 1804 or even the slightly older 1803 would be a good match for the Paradigms. The HK 230 would also be a good choice. I would look around for some of the HK refurb deals. Dakmart is also a good place for Denon refurbs. May also want to check ecost for some good refurb deals.

I really think a Denon 3803, HK430, or anything else in that price range would be alot of overkill unless you plan on upgrading speakers VERY soon, and not just to Paradigm Performance series towers, but to the Monitor series or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks