What's new

New Here - Got some questions (1 Viewer)

HighDef

Auditioning
Real Name
Ghulam
Hi All. I just joined the forum. I have been a Dj for many years, got some experience with sound etc. I'm working on opening my own Home Theater store. Would like some advice please. What are the good, reliable brands out there? Amplifiers, Speakers etc. Looking forward for you advice :D

HighDef

Auditioning
Real Name
Ghulam
Just to make things easier, i would like advice for any brands except the ones below.... Pioneer Samsung Yamaha Bose

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and reply to this message. Opening up a home theatre store in the age of Internet direct buying and big box retail is going to be a challenge. In addition, you have the current economic pressure, combined with the Walmart buying mentality of the average consumer; making boutique home theater stores, an endangered species. My recommendation is to visit a good home theater store in your area and take a look at their operations and brands. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will be hard.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't sugar coat it for this guy... you will fail. Not because of the market conditions or because of the global recession but because you don't know anything about it. You want to open a business and you can't even name the companies that make the products you want to sell???? Thats like opening a restaurant having never eaten or even seen food. Take it up as a hobby build your own home theater, then consider opening a store. Sorry if this sounds harsh or even rude, but it won't be as harsh as loosing a bunch of money and time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only way a "store" makes money in todays market... Being full service. I mean doing it all. Planning a room. Installing the room. Teaching the consumer to use their purchase. I do all three of those things and I do not have a "store". I would never open a store in todays "internet economy". I work with 5 home builder/remodelers. I also do outside contracts with 10 different "boutique" stores. Why do I work for "boutique" stores? Cause they are typically 1 or 2 person operations and they don't have the time to do what I do. So they'll get a customer wanting to spend "x dollar amount". They'll call me up and say... "We have a customer with a $15k budget, we'll pay you $900." ($900 is roughly 33-40% of the "profit" of a $15k budget. So for some boutique it is worth it to pay me to go to the customers house to oversee install and "teach the customer". I like it cause my hands are wiped clean of the transactio. I don't have to deal with DOA/failures and "oops I broke it") Why do they pay me? Cause they have stuff to do they can't leave their store. Why do I work for 10 different boutique and 5 home builders? To have enough stuff to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks