What's new

New Head of MGM Home Video: Are the Midnite Movies in Trouble Again? (2 Viewers)

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
The trades are reporting that Eric Doctorow, formerly of Paramount, will be
in charge of the MGM Home Entertainment unit at Fox. Given Paramount's abysmal record when it comes to releasing classics on DVD, this does not bode well for the Midnite Movies and the future of MGM back catalog titles in general.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
George,

I don't know Eric personally, nor his track record, but actually,
he was around during the days of Martin Blythe when the studio
was doing a great job of releasing catalog product.

I'm not quite sure that Eric taking over this position is a bad
thing since the problems at Paramount have seemed to escalate
since Martin's departure.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I meant no disrepect to Eric Doctorow, so hopefully if he is going to head MGM Home Entertainment, it's not a bad thing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
George,

I know you meant no disrespect.

I'm just not convinced that any of Paramount's problems
have anything to do with Eric rather than the new management
that is now in place.

I tell yuh, I miss Martin and the days we would have communication
and support from the studio.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Article From Video Business Online:

Doctorow to lead MGM effort at Fox
Former Paramount exec to manage catalog worldwide
By Marcy Margiera 7/12/2006

JULY 12 | LAS VEGAS—In an effort to build sales of the venerable Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer catalog, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is building a dedicated unit led by industry veteran Eric Doctorow to manage its MGM business around the world.

Fox named Doctorow, who led worldwide home entertainment at Paramount Pictures for more than a decade, as general manager worldwide for MGM at Fox. Fox recently won worldwide MGM distribution rights from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

"Historically, MGM has been a leader in the sale and exploitation of catalogue product. By having a dedicated team of marketing, sales and planning executives focused on it, we're confident that we will significantly grow the company's catalogue business above historic levels,” noted Mike Dunn, Fox’s worldwide president.

“This unique structure provides for a concentrated sales and licensing effort focused on the MGM home entertainment brand, encompassing MGM’s increasing slate of new theatrical releases and direct-to-video projects as well as the more than 4,000 films and 10,000 episodes of TV programming in its vast library,” noted Rick Sands, chief operating officer of MGM.

MGM is angling to rebrand itself as an independent studio, unique from its Sony investors. In March, MGM began revitalizing its domestic theatrical distribution division with several new hires.

Doctorow reports to Fox’s executive VP and general manager, North America Simon Swart and executive VP and general manager, international Keith Feldman.

“This unique structure is necessary to unlock the significant growth potential of the MGM business, and it also requires the day-to-day oversight of a dedicated and experienced executive who is both highly competent and creative. Eric is that executive,” said Swart. “While his previous experience makes him the obvious candidate for the job, it is Eric’s unique vision and enthusiasm for the MGM business that will help us to achieve our anticipated growth projections

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just the mere fact that Fox has a hand in MGM product gives
me a lot of optimism.

Fox has historically given a great amount of attention to catalog
product and quality releases.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm also optimistic about this Fox distribution deal.

It can't get any worse than Sony's do-almost-nothing attitude with the MGM catalog.

It would be interesting to get a HTF chat set up once the folks are settled in over there. Any possibility Ron?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jim,

Times have changed and so do people.

Studio people have become more isolated these
days and we just don't have the dialogue with them
that we used to.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case with Fox.

I have extended an invite out to them in the past, but
have received no answers.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
That's unfortunate Ron. Seems that aside from Warner, Fox would be the only other studio open to communicate with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks