New HDTV WS Died on Me...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sol_N, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Sol_N

Sol_N Extra

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Mitsubishi WS 46809 HDTV Projection Set and it was working splendidly for about a week. Then, the remote started to sputter out of service with the TV (but still worked with the other peripherals I had it programmed for). After a day, the remote stopped working with the TV completely. Next, the TV stopped displaying any 480i programming. I could hear the sounds in the background, but no picture. And I could still watch 480p DVD's and whatnot.

So I had an authorized technician come in and check it out. He removed the entire innards of the system and said the "motherboard" part would probably have to be replaced. Could I have done something wrong or was the unit just faulty to begin with? Any theories would be appreciated.

2. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

If my TV stopped working after a week or two, i would have told the store to come pick it up and bring me a new one. Do you have a good return policy with your store?

3. Sol_N

Sol_N Extra

Actually, Mitsubishi sent an authorized repair man to take a look. He removed the innards of the TV and said it'd take about a week to replace (no charge). Sure, I'm angry about the TV, but if they can fix it in a week, It won't bother me that much.

4. John Chevalier

I'm not trying to offend you, but why would you be happy with possibly getting a lemon? Personally, if a product failed on me within the frist 30 days, i would take it right back and get a new one. My experience has found that once something has problems, it continues.

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Sol, I would have to agree with John. Don't even mess with letting them try to fix it just return it for another one. Like John said also if it fails after only one week something else is bound to happen again.

Just out of curiosity have you messed around with the service menu? It may seem like a stupid question but if you are not completely sure what you are doing you can destroy a TV in no time if you mess with the wrong thing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do...

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Oh, I don't know. Replacing a motherboard is pretty close to getting a whole new TV. The screen's okay, the CRTs work, the cabinet isn't dented...the motherboard's about all that's left.

I wouldn't worry about it. You probably didn't do anything, assuming you didn't spill a Coke on it or something.

Let us know how it goes!

Jan

7. John Chevalier

what about if it was an electrical connection to the motherboard or something like that? I would take the TV back while you still can IMO.

8. Sol_N

Sol_N Extra

First of all, I know how to treat a TV [​IMG] I did check out the settings and all, but I didn't do anything crazy (like fudge with the convergence). I did lower the contract/brightness right away because people suggested that was the way to go. Like I said, the TV was working great for the first week, then it slowly died...
    John, you see, normally I would be pretty mad and I would demand for an exchange, but the problem is that I bought it from Price Club (CostCo) and while they do have a return policy, I would be responsible for the moving back and forth... It was hard moving the 46-incher in the first place and I shudder at the thought of moving it again [​IMG]