New HDTV reciever and HDTV w/out DVI Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Stuckey, May 5, 2004.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

HI
    I just got the new Samsung HD DirecTV and my 1 1/2 year old HD monitor dosent have a DVI interface just Componet inputs. Thus , The picture looks only slightly better on the HD channels then the rest. Is this because I dont have it hooked up by DVI? The TV is a Hitachi RPtv. I do use RHINO cables for the componte.Is there a way around this so I can use the DVI output on the DirecTV reciever?? Will the DVI make the difference Im hoping to see...You know ..Like the set up's at BB and so on?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

DVI isn't going to make a drastic difference, really likely no difference except on digital-based displays (non-CRTs). If you aren't seeing a huge difference on HD vs. SD, maybe the channel wasn't broadcasting true HD at the time. Which channel & which program? Are you sure you have the Samsung set to 1080i output?

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

My Sammy 160 looks great via the Component inputs of my Pioneer 533 HD WS TV.

If your TV lacks DVI inputs, you can't use it from the Sammy, but it is not a given that a tube based RPTV will look better with a DVI input. If your set is correctly set-up, as well as your Sammy, you should get stunning PQ. If its only "slightly" better than standard fair, I would say something is not right.

I would ask if your Sammy is set to 1080i, and does your TV accept 1080i un-molested.

Speaking from my own experience, if you tune in to some of the stuff on Discovery HD, or live sports like the Superbowl, you will not confuse it with SD content.

BGL

4. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I dint notice that the Sammy had the option to set it to 1080i. Im gonna go look right now.
    Eric

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Well I did have the TV set for 1080i and the samsung HD Dish must auto put in in HD because there was nothing in the on screen menu or on the outer back of the reciever. I mean it looks good just not like in BB or CC. Maybe because I remember seeing those on a Plasma set??!
    Thanks for the help!
    Eric

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, putting connection issues aside, have you calibrated the set?

You normally can't calibrate the 1080i input with a test disc like Avia or VE (they are only useful for 480i/480p inputs), but you can transfer those settings over from the DVD input, and tweak by eye from there.

The uncalibrated HD input on my set looked pretty bad, but with some judicious tweaking, everything snapped into place.

BGL