What's new

New HDTV - PC DVI to HDMI input? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My wife bought me a new Sony HDTV-ready set for Christmas. Now I am getting ready to move a 2.4 GHZ Dell computer downstairs to act as a media center. What can I expect if I run my DVI output from the PC to the TV's HDMI input? Should I be able to surf the net using my new TV, and run my Beyond-TV recorded programs?

Thanks in advance.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Stephen:

You will be seeing your laptop on your RPTV. So whatever you have up on it whether is is your webbrowser, Beyond-TV, etc. you will see on your Sony. Over this connection you will also be able to upconvert your DVDs, etc. to the highest res of your monitor too. Since DVD is normally at 480p and Macrovision limits it to 480p over component you do not have this limitation over HDMI.

So the bottom line is that your laptop will look great over your Sony and will only be limited to the limits of your video card in your laptop.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
www.monoprice.com sells cheap (~$5) DVI->HDMI adapters and DVI->HDMI cables. Just an FYI.

You may have issues with 1:1 pixel mapping...your mileage may vary. You may need to create a custom resolution on the PC if your Sony display has an oddball resolution like 1366x768. Again, YMMV.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've had a PC hooked up to my Sony with DVI->HDMI a couple of times, and the results are pretty damn good. You'll probably have to play with resolutions a bit to find the "optimal" one, but if you have an ATI video card, there's a decent HDTV resolution selector in the catalyst control panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks