New HD931 Help please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Hargreaves, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Matt Hargreaves

Matt Hargreaves Auditioning

I am very new to this site, and I was wondering if someone could help me with a purchase. I am about 12 hours away from buying the HD931 and I would like just a little more input. The things I've read on this site could be split down the middle, but what I'm most concerned about is the picture quality vs. money spent. I have a maximum of $300 to spend. I'm not concerned about the remote or the bright blue panel. My TV is the Sony KP-46WT510, and I think my receiver is the Sony STR-DE675.......but I'm not really sure about that. It was a gift 2 years ago.

If anyone has any last minute input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Matt

2. Rick Hodgson

Rick Hodgson Extra

Matt I have a Sony 50WE610 LCD TV with the hd931. I have had the Samsung about 2 weeks now and I'm not overly impressed. I have nothing to compare the visual quality too so I'm not sure how it compares to DVD players hooked up with component cables.

I am planning on taking it back this weekend and trying the DENON 910. I will be happy to Post here or email you if the Denon looks better.

Keep in mind that I'm new to this stuff as well, seems like we are in similar situations. If this will help you out just post a reply.

Rick

3. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

What I've read on the Samsung unit hasn't been very flattering, especially in regards to picture quality throught the DVI interface. I'd hold off on it.

4. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Wait for the Bravo D2. Should be out sometime in Q1 this year.

5. AlCruz

AlCruz Auditioning

I have the 931 on a plasma hdtv for about a couple of months now and the picture's great but the player has a couple of quirks that annoys me. The remotes range is not very good and fast forward doesn't work sometimes. Audio is out of sync by maybe a quarter of a second.

6. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

I have the exact same Sony set and picked up the Samsung this weekend. It's going back today. The 1081 output through DVI is overly edgy - it looks as though someone cranked up the sharpness and there's no way to disable it. 720P doesn't work at all. 480P through DVI is better, but I noticed some weird picture anomalies - during tilts, the picture seemed to blur together. I switch to progressive out using component and it looked much better. Problem is, the Faroujda deinterlacer only works through DVI.

On top of that, the player dies after about thirty minutes - it just goes black. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I would strongly advise against getting this unit.