What's new

NEW HD format to be launched...the industry responds to HTF demands! (1 Viewer)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
No, that face of the disc will be covered by a "Be kind, please rewind" sticker in the case of both rental and sell-through discs in order to show the consumers exactly how up-to-date studios are in developing next-generation formats consumers will embrace.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Nils,

I'm afraid it's true.

Dan Reamer at dvdfile just posted an entire piece on the new Draconian copy-protection methods of HDS.

Apparently they are using GPS to track your DVD movements...and if you try to bring them to your friend's house or move them from within 30 feet of your home they are rendered unplayable!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
so now I HAVE been officially reamed...this really hurts...I expected much better to be honest.

(looks for old 8-track player)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My question is what if the store security tag is in the area where you want to place the sticker? Will this render the sticker unusable. I intend to pay a pretty penny for these stickers and it would be a shame if it doesn't work.

P.S.
I'm just loving the thread, keep em comin

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE

Last night I went to a demo of Toshiba's HDS competing format at Bjorn’s A&V Sticker in San Antonio, and I must admit, the sticker looked amazing!

To be fair though, it did appear Toshiba purposefully used a smudged standard definition sticker for comparison instead of a reasonable quality SDS, so it wasn't exactly a perfect A-B test, but the HDS sticker still looked really impressive.

One thing that really bothered me though is that when asked why their initial sticker wont use 1080p adhesives, the Toshiba rep said that there is no 1080p adhesive available yet, and that 1080i adhesive is just as good as 1080p adhesive so no one should ever be able to tell the difference.

When asked if it will be possible to upgrade the first generation HDS stickers when 1080p adhesive becomes available, he said that this will not be possible, and that we would have to replace them with new HDS stickers with 1080p adhesive.

:thumbsdown:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Any word on when the stickers will really be available? I hear there's only 5 stickers to buy when they first come out, and nobody is giving details on those stickers, let alone those from other HDS companies.

For those concerned about the 1080i adhesive just remember that you can buy a 1st gen 1080i Toshiba sticker AND a second gen 1080p Toshiba sticker for less total cost than a single first gen Sony 1080p sticker.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
"This Sticker Has Been Modified To Fit Your DVD Case"

I am really hoping for a THX approved or a Sony SuperStick Sticker, they should look a whole lot better!

Wes

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Maybe if both hd formats fail I can place that sticker on my Sony ES and Denon dvd players :laugh:

And be able to upconvert all my old dvd movies :laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Warner has just announced that their non-scrach/sniff sticker...(cheaper though lacking in features) is being DELAYED!

Many of us were expecting this news. It seems that the color dyes and adhesives which were *just* finalized are not compatible with all discs.

Stay tuned!

p.s. Dave...your idea of applying the sticker to your old DVD *player* is intriguing. I hadn't thought of that...one sticker could, in effect, convert your entire HD collection in one fell swoop! Since Toshiba knows that consumer don't really care about quality or features, the results could really be worth the while. It's worth a try to see what happens!

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
I have a SKU for the new sticker..its 1166611

apparently you can play the dvd's backwards to receive some kind of hidden message, the beatles DVD is suppose to have some interesting info as well as the queen concert (bites the dust track)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Sorny is pleased to announce that the delay in launching the PayStation 3 is due to inclusion of a new technology:

Death Ray

With this revolutionary technology, each and every Sorny player will have the ability to incinerate any HD-DVD player (a.k.a. "expensive, smoking paperweight") that it finds in the room.

Death Ray will also bring a new dimension to the viewing experience of SF and sci-fi fans. Now you, too, can "feel the burn!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks