New HD-DVD players in Europe coming soon...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Johannes S, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Johannes S

Johannes S Stunt Coordinator

Johannes
  2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I want one.

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Certainly has a slimmer profile...but still looks classy. Very cool that more players are coming out and no doubt more players will drive more sales of software.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Good news for us. But still a long time to wait!

5. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Frank,

We'll know more at CEDIA in two weeks.

If I were a betting man, I would plan on seeing the E1 model in late October or early November at $399-$499. I know Toshiba wants its out before the PS3. I'm sure Toshiba would like to get the XE1 out before December, but I would be surprised if that happens, considering how tight the supply is on HDMI 1.3 parts.

The HD-E1 and HD-XE1 are not really second-generation players, however, they will feature a number of improvements over the A1 product. Forthcoming improvements you won't see on the spec sheet:
    • Instead of an Intel P4M 2.5GHz, they'll use a faster and cooler-running Intel Core Duo -- the same dual-core chip found in current Mac notebooks. This improves responsiveness and enables the lower profile design.
    • They'll have a new HD-DVD ROM drive with faster access times -- DVDs and HD-DVDs will load faster as a result.
    • Other logic board changes to speed loading of the software.

Basically, these will be faster + slimmer versions of the current Toshiba A1 HD-DVD design. The software should be the same. As far as video and sound quality, I wouldn't expect any difference between the A1 and the E1. The E1 will feature a newer HDMI 1.2a part, which should improve display compatibility.

Do note, however, the the HD-E1 lacks 5.1 analog outputs, and thus you would need a receiver with HDMI 1.1 or later to experience Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, and True-HD 5.1 from that product. Only the [current] A1 and the XE1 have 5.1 analog outputs.

The XE1 features a 12-bit/297MHz video DAC for those who rely on component output, HDMI 1.3 with "deep color" support, 5.1 analog outputs, optical and coaxial digital outputs, and a high-performance "I/P Converter & Scaler" to upconvert DVD to 1080p and deinterlace HD-DVD to 1080p for output over HDMI. Toshiba says the scaler/deinterlacer in the XE1 should match or exceed the performance of third-party 1080p solutions costing thousands of dollars. Price unknown but I would guess US$799 MSRP.

Note: This information could be out of date.

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

That's too bad that HD-E1 lacks 5.1 analog outputs. My receiver has no HDMI input. If I buy a receiver with HDMI input, the audio is still decoded in the player, right?

And also can I switch between audio and video independently? I mean I want the video of HDMI 1 input and the audio of HDMI 2. Is that possible?

7. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn

Excellent information. However, I see the US version of the HD-E1 having a MAP of $499, but we are all pushing for $399. and the US version of the HD-XE1 selling for $999.

Delivery I expect is End of October for the HD-E1 and sometime in December for the HD-XE1.

I will be at CEDIA and plan on posting information on the USA models from the show floor.

-Robert

8. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Looks like the US versions will carry the names of HD-A2 and HD-XA2 instead of HD-E1 and HD-XE1. Differences between the European and U.S. versions? Response below from Amir Majidimehr, Corporate Vice President, Consumer Media Technology Group at Microsoft.

From this site:

[​IMG]